SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
preppystud

it is cheaper to buy veges than growing them yourself?

preppystud
14 years ago

i used to think that if i just plant the seeds, i will get a lot of vegetables as long as i water them daily.

well, it is not like that, i have to grow them in tiny pots, then transplant them. and evil pill bugs eat a lot of the seedlings. so i have to plant some more. then i have to spend money to buy pesticides and fertilizers. and some vegetables don't get enough sunlight or something else, they just died.

and if i put too much manure around some plants, they will die also. like my one and only globe artichoke, i spent about $1.60 for a pack of seeds. only 3 germinated, but only one survived the winter. It used to have 3 leaves, but now they are all gone. it is probably dead, too! and i was hoping that i will grow some nice big artichokes this year. now i have to go to home depot and buy some new seeds, if that store sold out this particular seed, i probably have to go to another store. and it is already summer time already.

i could easily spent a few hours a day just doing gardening. gardening is like keeping pets. it is fun for a while, but now it is like a daily job if i actually want to get some good results.

so it seems that it is really cheaper just to buy some vegetables instead of spending hours growing them.

Comments (23)