SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neohippie

I'm back in the dirt!

neohippie
14 years ago

Hello, I probably haven't posted in years. Probably because I haven't had a garden in years, but that's all about to change.

I took over my family's veggie garden when I was 12, but then I moved out to go to college and have been mostly living in dorms and apartments ever since. There was a time I had a plot in a community garden, and I lived with friends who rented a house for several months and had some stuff growing in the backyard, but for the last three years I've been going to graduate school, I've been relying on a CSA for my fresh veggies.

Well, next week I'm going to be moving into a rent house with my boyfriend (and probable future husband). It's got a nice, big backyard that looks like it hasn't been maintained at all. We're responsible for maintaining the yard. BF asked if we could put in a garden, and the landlord said he didn't care. I'm not surprised since I figure ANYTHING I do to this yard would be an improvement.

There's a lot of shade near the house (which is good), but the rest is all open and has mostly silky bluestem and other weeds growing out there. I see it as a blank canvas! I'm actually really glad it's not a manicured lawn of St. Augustine or Bermuda. I hate those. I've already decided I'm going to establish some native wildflowers and prairie grasses in the areas unsuitable for vegetable growing, mainly the areas that are too shady or slopy.

That still leaves me, get this, about a 40'x40' area of flat, sunny land!

I'M SO EXCITED!

Since it's not exactly planting weather, I have some time to plan. I've already got my graph paper. I'm already familiar with biointensive/square foot gardening, and I'm starting to realize that 40'x40' is a lot, isn't it?

I'm not a newbie gardener by any means, but I'm probably a bit rusty, and for the first time in my life I'm going to turn a "virgin" area into a veggie garden, instead of taking over an existing one. The garden would be in the corner of the yard, so there's going to be a chain link fence along the left side and the back if you're looking at it from the house. I figure I can have any vines growing along the fence, and then...

Well, this is kind of overwhealming to be honest, so any sage advice you guys may have would be appreciated. When it comes to gardens, I think I have a tendancy to bite off more than I can chew all at once, if you get what I mean.

Comments (9)