SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonebananas_gw

What 'orgainic' sprays work reasonably well?

gonebananas_gw
12 years ago

And with what known limitations as to season, life stage, etc.?

I think that critical experience and true agronomic science give a "useful" verdict to copper sulfate, lime-sulfur, oil, and certain oily soaps (on aphids at least), and even just blasting with water (for certain mites), and to the "Surround" kaolin coating.

Any others. Is neem really any good? Does compost tea really reduce fugal disease? What about all the others?

I have given up asking such questions among organic gardeners. One gets accusations of heresy or apostasy merely for the asking. Or one gets glowing testimonials that had a strangely familiar ring. I eventually realized they read like a Lysenkoist description of Russian agriculture in a 1930s issue of "Soviet Life." "The wheat stood a time-and-a-half taller than in the best of pre-Soviet fields and at a density never before seen. The grain hoppers bulge and must be supplemented by tarp-covered mountains of golden grains on the hastily constructed new concrete harvest pads of the collective farms. The flavor in bread is unsurpassed, with a nutrient content never achieved anywhere else in the world."

Any more realistic assessments of low-toxicity or else natural and easily degraded sprays for insects and fungus on fruit plants?

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting