SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_s_gw

Broken feathers on my roosters.

ruth.s
17 years ago

Hi all, we live in the upper north island of New Zealand and have a small 'lifestyle' farm. I have about 30 chickens and 3 handsome roosters at the present time and have kept chickens for years. I like to keep the flock healthy and well fed (read 'spoilt' here) and keep a well stocked vegetable garden just for them. I also feed them a lovely organic mix of whole grains mollasses and minerals called 'chook chow' and I naturally worm them every couple of months annd chemically worm them twice a year so they are pretty healthy.

My questions are about moulting in the girls and feather breakage in my roosters.

With regards to moulting, my previous experience has been that they all start to moult around May (autumn) and if I give them some cod liver oil in thier food they seem to come through that quite quickly and get back to laying. My problem is that here it is early summer and some of the girls are looking decidedly 'threadbare' and some have broken feathers, do some chickens moult twice a year or is this a problem?

In the roosters I have just noticed that both my large breed boys seem to have lost all the colour and shine from thier 'collars', on closer inspection I realise that all of thier collar feathers have got the tips broken off! could this be a mite problem and could this be related to my 'threadbare' girls.

Anyway any help would be most welcome. I probably should mention that the flock has several coops and very large runs, so they have lots of room and aren't stressed in any way. The weather has been quite hot and laying is just starting to slow down for the hottest part of summer.

Hope this wasn't too long ;-)

best wishes, Ruth

www.ruthsumner.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Circle of Friends

Comments (2)