SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emcd124

Will nearby honeysuckle 'poach' scarce pollinators

emcd124
11 years ago

We dont seem to have many pollinators around, so I'm already concerned about getting enough bees to pollinate my small home garden. I recently got my husband a very fragrant honeysuckle, and planted it along a fence about ten feet from my raised garden beds. At first I thought it might be useful for attracting pollinators, who might then stick around and help out in the rest of the garden. But then I started to worry that if I only have a few bees--and not enough pollinators to go around already--the bees may just fill up on the honeysuckle and neglect the rest of my veg.

Does any one have experience? Do fragrant flowers near a veg garden always help or can they harm by "poaching" pollinators from the veg?

Comments (8)

• User
    11 years ago

If anything it should attract more pollinators.

We have a lot of "preferred" clover plants surrounding fields and home gardens around here and it's never an issue.

Attracting pollinators is of more concern to tree fruit growers (including almonds). Some people have early-season issues with melons and squashes which need a good amount of pollinators, but by the time things warm up it's not an issue in most areas.

It don't take much once bees/insects/etc know an area where they can feed. They'll explore more than just the one plant that attracted them.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Agree with above. Plus, what do you have planted in your vegetable garden that requires insect pollination?

Dave

• User
    11 years ago

I don't have anything that strictly requires insect pollination, but a lot of people will lump bees, moths, butterflies, and other chance pollinators into "insects".

Most of the stuff in my garden would technically love a pollinator and technically aren't wind pollinated, but they're so self-fertile (peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, etc) that a bit of wind does the job once the flowers open whether a pollinator visits first or not.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Sorry. Question was directed at the OP. I should have been more clear. Many new gardeners really get concerned about pollinators when in reality few are needed - depending on the crops of course.

Dave

• howelbama
    11 years ago

I agree with the above, it will only help. The pollinators appreciate variety just like we do, so they will definetly be sure to "taste" everything that is nearby, including anything in your garden that may need pollination assisttance, which is usually just cucurbits unless you are growing some fruits trees or something.

I love going out in my garden and watching all of the different solitary bees and wasps do their thing, it's one of my favorite parts of gardening.

• emcd124
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody! Thats encouraging. My tomatoes were flowering at a nice rate, but it seemed like four out of every five flowers just shriveled up without fruiting, so I was thinking maybe I could blame it on the lack of bees...now I'm back to the drawing board. Heat? Water? Prudish tomatoes?

• howelbama
    11 years ago

Possibly heat. Has it been really hot where you are?

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Yeah, pollinators like lots of variety. You can't have too much flowering stuff for them, because if there is more than the local population can harvest, more move in. Its when you don't have much to offer that they ones you have move out, so the more you've got, the better you'll be. Try planting things like catnip and beesbalm, as they love those flowers.

And yes, its probably the heat. Most fruit won't set when daytime temps are over 90-95.