SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

John pear - First dormant pruning questions

11 years ago

I purchased a John pear last year. It had a good base, and some long lateral shoots, which I trimmed back, to even it out and encourage branching. Even the branch angles arent too bad compared to what I have seen in pear (which honestly, isnt too much)

It was a burlaped tree and when I planted it, there wasnt too much root mass to speak of, so not surprisingly there wasnt too much growth of leaves. On top of that, we got over 100mm of rain in May (not too long after it was planted), so most of my trees had some sort of fungus (leaves turned blackish, but I dont think its flireblight, there are no lesions red blotches or cracked bark, just too much rainy cool weather after that storm. This year im going to use a bit of neem oil.

I also expect it to grow more, seeing as there should be way more roots this year.

Anyways, my question is a simple one (despite the long background info lol). I believe that I dont have to prune this much at all this year. I want it to branch at the cuts I made last year.

The only thing I want to know, is how I should cut the leader? Ive read its best to grow pears as a central leader/modified because of its natural upward growth, so I was thinking cutting it down so its abot 30 - 36 inches above the last scaffold whorl, to a strong bud, so I can encourage branching for the next layer of scaffolds.

Any ideas would be welcomed and thanks in advance

Comments (16)