SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennieboyer

Question on raised beds for blueberries

jennieboyer
11 years ago

Hi All,

I got five blueberry plants to use in my backyard. Unfortunately, my soil has a ph of 6.8. I was thinking about digging the soil out and planting the blueberries in holes with just peat moss and pine needles. This is still an option, but I'm thinking through another option now.

I'm considering doing them in a raised bed. I have found one that is fairly inexpensive as a kit, and might work well for me. Here are a few questions..

Is a 9" tall raised bed enough? The kit has two 9" tall squares, and I could stack them to get 18", but I'd rather do 9" and get more space if possible. If there is any question about 9" being deep enough, I'm going to go with 18".

What soil should I use for the raised bed? If I go with the 9" height, I will need 8 cubic feet total. It seems straight peat and pine needles at that point won't work for the whole bed? What should the "soil" be? What ratio?

I currently have these plants in posts and they seem to be doing well, but I want to get them in the ground by next weekend at the latest. I really am thinking raised bed may be my best bet.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Jennie

Comments (21)