SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethw_gw

Eek! It's about time to send the ducklings to the pond

bethw
17 years ago

I'm so nervous:)

Our 6 Pekins will be 8 weeks old on Tuesday. After growing up in the barn, it's nearing the time to finally let them join our 3 geese on the pond. Any wise words of advice?

We've been letting them out in a temporary fenced area to enjoy the sunshine and to get better acquainted with the geese that they'll be sharing the pond with. Our property is fenced, but they'll be free-ranging during the day and locked up at night only. I've been following a nightly routine with them for awhile so hopefully they're conditioned to hear the feed bowl and return to their stall at night.

As for predators, the pond is big enough to provide some protection, but I've seen several red-tailed hawks checking out the ducklings from above:( When the ducks spy the hawks, they march back into their stall. I hope that when the ducks are full-size they won't look so enticing to the hawks...

Anything I'm missing? It worries me to death to let them out on their own, but I'm not willing to keep them caged when there is a perfectly good pond for them.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions