SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farmerben

Amend clay or raised beds?

FarmerBen
12 years ago

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have two acres in upstate NY in the Hudson River Valley, about a half mile east of the river. I want to plant a vegetable garden about 60x30'. I have about 10 years vegetable gardening experience with a smaller garden. My plan this year was to take my time, prepare and amend the soil over the summer and plant a winter cover crop so it would be ready next season. This will be on a location which is part of my lawn today, but pesticide free (we rarely treat our lawns in this part of the country).

I planted an orchard (14 apple/cherry trees and 8 blueberry bushes) in April and dug up a great deal of heavy clay and lots of rocks. Ended up replanting the trees with about 25% of the clay topsoil and 75% compost with rock phosphate and calcium. Trees are doing well.

I know that I have a lot of clay and rocks to deal with. I'm getting ready to prepare the bed, but haven't decided if I should amend the soil or should just do raised beds and buy topsoil and compost, which would probably be a lot easier but more costly.

Questions:

- Which way would you go?

- If I decide to amend the clay, what's my process for getting this ready by next year?

- If I plant raised beds, should I till up the grass first or just put up some boards and dump topsoil and compost in there?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals