SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiny_city_garden

How to encourage male blossoms on squash?

tiny_city_garden
14 years ago

Hi all,

I've grown squash a few times before, but never encountered this problem. My yellow squash plant is only producing female flowers-- I've only seen one tiny male flower, but it hasn't opened yet.

Meanwhile, the unfertilized female flowers keep producing little squashes that immediately rot and fall off.

After a few weeks of this, I have three questions:

1) Are these unfertilized squashes edible, if I pick them before they start rotting?

2) If the male blossom isn't opening, could I hurry things along by gently opening it myself and pollinating all the open female blossoms by hand? Is there pollen in there yet?

3) Are there any tricks to encouraging more male blossoms? Perhaps picking off the female blossoms? Or different fertilizers?

I know I'm probably just a little impatient, and the problem will probably fix itself soon. In the meantime, I'm sad to see all these potential squash rotting and falling off. I only have one squash plant (tiny urban garden), so I can't cross-pollinate with anything else.

Anyway, I've been reading this forum for a while, and it's been very helpful. So I thought perhaps some more experienced gardeners out there might have some ideas. :)

Thanks everyone!

JB

Comment (1)