SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flora_uk

What is 'tilling'

flora_uk
16 years ago

OK here's a question which may seem weird to most of you. But as a Brit I am confiused by this term 'tilling'. To me a tiller (or rotavator' as I would call it) is a machine for digging up your garden. Only people with a very large or commercial garden would use one or those clearing a long-neglected plot. Now when you say 'tilling' on your posts do you actually mean using a machine or do you mean any kind of digging? I have gardened for many years and have only ever used hand tools: a fork for digging over the ground and a spade for trenches, holes and edges. Do you all have machinery for your digging? Another difference in nomenclature is your use of the word 'garden' to mean the bit of ground where you grow stuff as distinct from the 'yard'. To me it's all 'garden' and I grow my vegetables straight in the native soil in a permanent area. Methods seem very different on the two sides of the pond. I lightly dig over my ground during the winter and early spring. It takes an hour or two at most but I don't 'prep' or 'amend' in the way you people seem to. Then I sow or plant direct into the soil that is there. Occasionally I add compost or manure. What is the reason for this difference in approach? Is it the climate? Is it the soil? Is it just habit and tradition? Have any of you gardened in the UK and the States who can enlighten me?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville