SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renderblade_gw

Post-Emergence Weed Control in Sweet Corn

renderblade
16 years ago

Long time reader..first time poster.

To begin, I tilled my garden area this spring to remove the sod and then I pushed off the tilled topsoil to the side with a snow blade on my tractor and then re-tilled prior to planting.

I've started the year off really sad, my first plantings of 700 seeds of corn got dug up in a conical shaped hole by something and were eaten mostly by ants. The second planting of 500 seeds was 40% successful however my question is how do you control grass's and weeds in an existing corn plot? Now this is not some small 5'x5' area nor is it larger than an acre, more or less a 30'x100' plot. I've contacted my local co-op about herbicides but it was stated that had to be "licensed" to purchase so that option is nill. Another factor to using these chemicals is that I have melons and tomatoes planted within about 20 feet or so.

The process that I'm going through is actually taking a weed eater and clearing the weeds out where I can (you ever seen someone weed eating corn rows...funny sight lol). I've considered the whole newspaper idea, but realized I'd have to run around the neighborhood for a couple months to gather enough sheets. I may attempt to weed eat again and then hit the areas with my tiller and "mini-tiller" after the soil dries out.

I'm getting ready to pick-up one of those Earthway Seeders and "add" some late crop hybrid sweet corn this coming week in the areas that got eaten, so any input is greatly appreciated.

Just hoping someone has experience with dealing with a weed control in a garden that is generally mostly corn than anything else. I would post a image of the way it looks for reference but haven't taken one yet, just imagine your front yard with corn stalks about 36" tall here and there.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor