SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leilahamaya

trade list from a newbie

leila hamaya
11 years ago

just joined this site, i like what you are all doing here =)

filled out this list of seeds wanted and have, so figure i will give a shout out to this community by posting it here.

any traders???

http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/leilahamaya?2089

Seeds I have to trade:

i have a lot of:

arugula -roquette -common

wild arugula - sylvetta

red kale

green kale

red cabbage

walking onions- from last year but i think they are still good ~plus i have some very small ones i could pull from a pot, and the older ones are starting to flower.

wild onions - locally wildcrafted

mixed peppers, from the four varieties i grew last year.

small very hot peppers from last year.

yellow guava papaya\- solo a gourd for decorating or making things with ^^^^^these are all from my friend in hawaii

i have a little bit of:

broccoli- waltham

cilantro

delicata squash -sugarloaf

blue flax

dill

beets- red ace

beets- red

red poppies, from last year

lemon seeds, fresh from my lemon tree. could send whole lemon for seeds or put the seeds in a tiny jar of water\- lemon seeds must not dry out. have sprouted about fourty of these recently \=) by soaking them immediately and then sprouting them. took quite a while but now they are going strong. i dont know the kind, bought from a nusery, produces lots of sweet yummy lemons. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ tobacco\- 2 kinds\- cuban and an unknown, sprouted a LOT of these recently and a huge amount of: mixed kale and brassicas (bad labelling \= they got mixed) red kale, green kale, three kinds of cabbage\- red, copenhagen and a green cabbage, with a little broccoli mixed.

well sorry i dont always label very well (trying to break this habit and getting better from learning the hard way)or the precise variety. i grow a lot of anonymous plants, and dont keep track of varieties much.

i get seeds from different sources, catalogs, friends, and i love to wildcraft and forage.

i've tested most of these out and they are good. except for the newest additions to my collection which i am sprouting right now, but should all be viable. also the wild arugula seed (so tiny!) is difficult to start, didnt get a great return on the seeds, but some sprouted. i read this is common, unlike roquette arugula. theres more i could add, and i just recently stocked up with a lot of seed.... i am waiting for in the mail soon... plus my winter garden is all turned to seed. a few more weeks to let them really finish up and i will be harvesting the seeds. will soon have: arugula\- roquette red kale red poppies walking onions red cabbage a few varieties of hibiscus malva/mallow yellow hanging tomatoes spagetti squash bought some more nasturtiums, different colors Seeds I am looking for: \-i will grow almost anything thats edible. at least try! coastal california can be colder than you might think, this is zone 9, but it really isnt. have a small greenhouse like area \=) \-love edible flowers, fruit that can produce here, and i grow a lot of veggies. like wild plants too, especially edibles. what i have been recently searching for, just ordered some of these, would like more: hibiscus hollyhocks other mallows tomatilo/groundcherries cherry plums passionflower/passionfruit wild grapes grapes of any kind cold hardy short season melon fruit that will grow here hazel nut \-or other kinds of nut. miners lettuce mizuna other greens/lettuce onions\- any kind/red yellow tomatoes, small tomatoes snow peas, sugar snap peas, edible peas kiwis, have some going...maybe like another kind? and to make sure i have a male (?hoping i do?) \-would be interested in a lot more than that. will try to grow any squash, melon, veggie or fruit that will make it here. Plants I have to trade: i could have some nice cuttings to trade. if someone were interested i could take some fresh cuttings to send. it would be a bit difficult, but i think i could get them there. what i could cut from my garden: elderberry, native\- blue black berries thimbleberry, native fuschia all grown from cuttings\-locally wildcrafted a few years ago, now huge bushes \=) passionflower, incarnata.... i think? found wild\- or probably escaped from cultivation. theres more too, but thats more than enough for now \=)

Comments (11)

• smdane05
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have some that you are looking for and very interested in trading with you. Please look for my email

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

excellent =)
    looks like we got a trade brewing - sent you an email back.

and now i just looked over your list here...so i will list it here.
    besides what we talked about i would also request some of the following, if you have any left. you could pick whichever you wanted send.

Zucchini golden (1)
    Zucchini black beauty (1)
    Squash Table Queen (1)
    Squash watham butternut (1)
    Squash cocozelle (1)
    Squash yellow crookneck (2)

what we talked about:
    hibiscus ~ ground cherries ~ tomatilla ~ greens ~ peas ~ tomatoes
    +suprise me if you feel like putting something in =)

i will send:
    papaya ~ yellow guava ~ kale ~ arugula (both kinds?)~ blue flax

a very small amount of:
    dill ~ mallow = malva sylvestris with some other varieties of hollyhocks, hibiscus

some of the seeds i ordered were BLUE. i just read that you like blue flowers, something we share =)
    i will look and see if i have any other blue flowers, or other extra suprise to throw in.

• Astroknot
    11 years ago

Hi Leilahamaya, I'd love to do a trade with you. I have a bunch of edibles; check out my list and send me an email if you see anything you're interested in. From your list, I am most interested in your roquette arugula and wild onion.

What part of coastal California do you live in? I'm situated in San Francisco, which has so many microclimates in of itself.

• ourhappyhome
    11 years ago

Just want to welcome you to Gardenweb! This is a wonderful place with lot's of great people. Folks here are usually very generous.

Looks as if you are off to a very good start. Don't forget to check out the round robin exchange as well.

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ astroknot- wow =) thats a good list. i will look it over.
    i live in northern northern california, in the state of jefferson =)
    much closer to oregon than san franpsycho. =P
    just messing around, my pet name for your city. its a lovely place actually, but way too big city for me.

i have a lot of wild onion seed. it grows in enormous patches here, right outside my door and all down the road.... and i regularly spread it everywhere, and eat a lot of it in season =)

i harvested two big bags of the seed just a month or so ago...and theres quite a bit of seed right now still on them. so as much as you want i could send...i guess the postage is more a factor that anything else, cause i could send thousands of wild onion seeds if you wanted. or just a nice small bag full, if thats more appropriate.

i have or have access to several other things on your list.

there are three small young coastal redwood trees here on this land.
    i recently took some stem cuttings, and branch cuttings of the coastal redwoods....this is one of the things i traded for the guava and papaya and some passionvines + some other plants with my friend in hawaii=)

i looked into finding seeds,the cones, thought it would be cool to gather a bunch of redwood seeds. but apparently they dont seed very often, and i couldnt find any, anywhere. and they are hard to start that way. but stem cuttings work out better, and especially from a young tree.
    thats a bigger deal, have to actually package them...but if you want to arrange something with that i could take some stem cuttings -theres a few more there.

i have elderberries and they are also everywhere here.
    i have a few elderberry seeds from last year, they were shriveled up looking old ones...figured they would be good for seed? idk. i've only started them from cuttings, they re root pretty good.
    i could send these along with the rouquette arugula and wild onions.

theres several other trees here as well. native willows, and a eucalyptus.

• Astroknot
    11 years ago

Ohhh I would be so excited to get a redwood cutting. You would make my day (year)!

Okay, I will send you an email. I have a couple of other requests from your list, and I have a few suggestions on some cuttings I could send you in return, as well as a few other seeds that aren't on my list yet.

~ Melody

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nice =) ok. i will get the redwood cuttings... and other stuff we talked about.... together for you next week =)
    try to send it on sat or monday. email me your mailing info.

Posted by ourhappyhome

Just want to welcome you to Gardenweb! This is a wonderful place with lot's of great people. Folks here are usually very generous.

Looks as if you are off to a very good start. Don't forget to check out the round robin exchange as well.

aw thanks =)
    yes i'm defintely off to a good start. i am getting lots of trades. already have run through the bubbly envelopes i could find around. have to remember to stock up at the dollar store soon...so i can make some more trades. =)

i might as well make a bunch of trades..i like having a huge diverse seed stash=)
    and i have way way more seeds of somethings than i could plant in many years. i think i have a dozen lifetimes supply of kale ! its like that, an abundant plant and theres so many seeds. now already the newest kale seeds are coming in, so should get the ones from last year out there getting planted. =)

being a seed disperser is cool =)

• graanieb
    11 years ago

Hi Leila, good to see you...I've got lots of lettuce, Hibiscus, squash, others, would love your kale red and green, hibiscus , walking onion and who knows what else will come to mind ,hope to see you in email.

Bea

• Jedonne
    11 years ago

If you have anything left let me know! Look at my list for what I have...

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok i am back =)
    and brought new bubbly envelopes =)

i've got a hectic week, so sorry if dont respond quick. but still open to trading, and have most everything on that list still. i will try to keep up with everyone, and have set aside all the trades i have already arranged.

still got lots of kale, lots of arugula, lots of mixed cabbage, a bit of each of the rest. have run out of delicata and a few other things. i will edit the list to reflect what i just traded.

also i just got some of the new seeds i ordered-
    spagetti squash, sugar baby watermelon (forgot i had ordered those but cool ) and some tender sweet carrots among other things.
    these are packs of seeds i just bought, so it would be 5-30 seeds...only a small amount of any of those.

but with the kale and arugula, i would like to pass these along...and could send fat packages of hundred +++ seeds of the kales, arugula or mixed cabbage.

Here is a link that might be useful: my list

• TheMidnightGarden
    11 years ago

Can you still get redwood cuttings? Very interested if you can!!!!

Sponsored