SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cebury

Initial Trunk Pruning-Is 1' thick a risk?

cebury
13 years ago

Per the recommendations of DWN in-line with their BYOC you should trunk prune whips upon planting to about 15" above ground (or at knee height, depending on the doc). I normally make an angled cut, with sharp clean loppers, just before spring to avoid rain in the open trunk wound.

The assumption here is the tree is probably 1/2" caliper or less. Ed L once told me they have less success for larger caliper fruit trees, like 3/4" and 1" is pushing it. I was very knew to non-citrus trees at the time, so perhaps he was qualifying his advice to someone he just met. We were discussing cherry and peach trees at the time, on full sized stock.

Question: What is your experience or advice from other sources? How large is too large? What about 2" diameter peaches, 3 years old, in ground?

Take this specific case, a new Royal Rainer Cherry on Colt purchased bareroot. It branches fairly low, at ~26" and is a beautiful straight trunk just under and over 1" caliper. I would prefer it to branch lower, starting like 15" above graft. It will be in the 24" container for the first year after which I'll either plant it in ground or keep in there perm.

Cherry with Size and Cut Notations

{{gwi:59283}}

And here are the roots:

{{gwi:59284}}

Comments (13)