SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldpot

ways to store potato tubers until next year

oldpot
11 years ago

A bit early to ask i know but,

last 4 years i have no need to save tubers for next year seed as been using ones from garden centre near me and cheap cost,but now i do?,i want to save my own as i am looking for 3-4 certain varieties i found here in usa

(2 was from uk i grew there as well Charlotte and rose fur apple and 2 more )

and it will cost me with shipping etc 50-80 dollars next year and to keep buying year after year gets expensive,so i need ideas??to save my own, in uk i had a greenhouse frost free and was ok when i saved them there, i can use bottom of fridge but they not the best way and dry out and not enough room,

inside apt we live be too warm,got a outside garage where i got my veg plot thats all,and winters in Michigan (lower) can be cold and

harsh and very hard frosts and low temps etc ,

i was going

to dig a hole about a foot deep and put an old tote or cooler in what would be best?put the tubers in peat in tote or cooler or an old shoe box etc would that work?

in cover with straw and soil then tarp would that work to keep my tubers,ok until spring, i need to test some

ideas out with this year potatoes just a few to find best way ,would a cooler or tote in a garage as above method that not heated work as well ?

any ideas i would appreciate .

ty

Comments (2)