SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miss_kitty_gw

Journal for October - getting ready for winter?

Miss_Kitty
17 years ago

Hello everyone,

Well, I'd like to thank you for the postings, and the pictures for last month. We are getting ready for winter very slowly. But here in Kentucky we have these long lingering falls that can last until mid-November or longer. (New Yorkers, eat your hearts out! We only get 12 inches of snow per YEAR!) (giggles) I'm from the part of Ohio that gets the same snow fall as Buffalo, so I can relate to long cold snowbound winters. That's why I moved south.

But ... We got RAIN that flooded the roads, and got water leaking into the house from somewhere . . .so I can't gloat very much.

Put my old gelding on MSM, they give it to humans and horses for joint problems. Found out that is is CHEAP, unlike the other stuff that sells for $75 a bucket. Anyways, it's worked for him, he's no longer in pain, he moves long and low, not high headed and stiff. I may get to ride him yet this year. It took a month for me to see any improvement, but last week he was cantering and bucking with the mares! So I bought another tub and will give it to the old mare as well.

The ducklings are getting big, the older group has feathered out, there are two really pretty brown hens that I'm going to keep. A black drake with a white head, and a black hen. I usually just keep the black ones, but I'm so low on breeding stock I'm keeping all 8 of the this years hatching. I've got two hens on fresh eggs, so we may get a late batch by the end of October.

I'm still working on the gardens, weeding and getting ready for next year. We have to replace the electric fence tape, so we are going to tweak the fence lines which are currently as straight as a snake. (Two amatures in a hurry doesn't make for a nice straight fence.)

My DoD was given a clean bill of health yesterday. He'd had a brain bleed from a concussion and needed emergency surgery back in July. They have returned home, which we wouldn't have dared to expect when this all happened. I am so grateful that he is okay!

Hope everyone is doing as well!

Anybody gotten any snow yet?

Kitty

Comments (11)