SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chicken_ingenue

new, chickens

chicken_ingenue
18 years ago

Well today, I found an old black gentlemen up in the woods, that had about 50 hens and a bunch of roosters just running wild around his place. he sold me two hens and then threw a free one in for good measure. S He was so nice just laughed and laughed at everything i said. you should have seen his set up. had nests made from everything from old cupboards to boards nailed together with sheet metal over them. Some nests were nailed to trees, and they were everywhere. when he caught me up the hens. He used a long piece of metal with a home made hook on the end and caught them by the leg and pulled them upside down, through a little hole in the top of the home made box. and they were screaming!! He used pine straw for nesting. and you could hear the roosters crowing in the woods all around. He said they were mixed game chickens. thats that all he could have because they roosted in the trees to keep them from the coyotes and the fox. OH MY. When I think of how gingerly I handle my flock of three at home. I'm feeding my lettuce and tomatoes, scratch and laying mash and he fed his cracked corn.

when I brought them home to my two gigantic roosters and the hen we called baby because she seemed little, (but not compared to these three) LOL Mine are three times as big as these new ones. and they are not mixing. They are just plain wild and keep running into the fence straight on and bouncing back. I think they may either fly out or break their necks. OH MY. This is going to be a real adventure with these new ones. I hope they settle down soon. S The feller said they should mix with my flock fine. but mine are pure breeds and I think they are snobs. LOL

Comments (6)