SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tedln

My raised bed garden #2

14 years ago

Okay,

I am trying again. If this works and the photos display, I think I deserve a round of applause for my posting skills, not my gardening skills.

A few folks have asked to see my raised bed garden. The reason people are curious is because I have planted the following plants in four 4' X 8' beds. Please notice that all of the water hose to the beds and between the beds is buried. I am hooked up to a single faucet with a battery powered timer set to water in small amounts in the early morning, noon, and early evening. I have a twenty five foot soaker hose in each bed. The fence around my garden is to keep my Labrodor retreiver from harvesting the cucumbers and green tomatoes. I still share with him, but he has a tendency to pull the fruit with the plant still attached. When we used to move a lot with my job, I was a container gardener who believed in crowding my plants. I planted in fifteen gallon containers. I typically would plant four tomato plants inside a cage with four cucumber plants growing up each cage. Most of the containers would also have some peppers, basil, or other plants along with the tomatoes and cucumber plants. At that time I used a drip irrigation system running to each container on a timer. My garden has no insecticide on it, but I am not hesitant to use it if needed. I am planted in common dirt with some organic material mixed in. I use common (cheap) 10-10-10, or this year; 13-13-13 commercial fertilizer. The first photos were taken on planting day, March 19. The photos with the small plants were taken on May 6. The last were taken today. My intent was to provide a progression of the garden from planting to harvest. The 2" X 4"'s on top of the tomato cages in the later photos are to support my bird netting which I will soon place over the tomato cages. By the end of the growing season, the tomatoes will extend out the top of the cages by about two feet and will simply lay over the top while continueing to produce tomatoes.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

24 Better Boy tomato plants

8 Juliet tomato plants ( as well as a few volunteer tomato plants from last years crop)

9 jalapeno pepper plants

9 yellow sweet banana pepper plants

13 bell pepper plants

45 Burpee Pic & Pic yellow crook neck squash plants

12 Burpee Early Pride cucumber plants

12 Burpee Sweet Hybrid cucumber plants

1 pack of stringless green beans ( supposedly enough to produce 30 lbs of beans.)

1 pack of carrot seed/plants

1 pack of lettuce seed /plants

2 Asian long green eggplant plants

120 Texas A&M 1015 sweet onions.

{{gwi:67569}}
{{gwi:67571}}
{{gwi:67573}}
{{gwi:67575}}
{{gwi:67577}}
{{gwi:67579}}
{{gwi:67581}}
{{gwi:67583}}