SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pylot_gw

French Drain or not?

pylot
14 years ago

I have a small area (about 3 ft by 30 ft) in the back of my garden that seems to have a drainage problem. This strip angles down at about a 5% grade, and after a rain there is water stagnating up to 8 inches below the surface. I'm in CA so this happens only in winter - no rain in summer. Soil is on the clayey side but not bad (last summer I grew some nice tomatoes there with weekly irrigation). There are also other trees/bushes within a couple of feet of this strip of land that are doing fine, so the whole area overall is not bad.

I want to plant a couple of stone fruit trees there on Citation rootstock, and I'm wondering if they would survive or I need to do something about the drainage. I read that Citation is pretty tolerant of wet soil.

I've thought of building a French drain, but given the small area and the nearby neighbors, there is no place to divert the water. I could build a basin for the water to collect in, but that seems too much work for such a small area. The second idea was to plant fava beans or other fast growing winter plants that would use the excess water.

Any advice?

Comments (7)