SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lamb_abbey_orchards

Ultimate Farm/Orchard Dog

I'm looking to get another dog, specifically for the purposes of keeping all of the various critters out of my orchards--namely deer, wild turkeys, groundhogs, rabbits, skunks and the occasional intruder looking to help themselves. I've currently got two great dogs--a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a Whippet. But neither has the temperment for such a task. The Whippet, like most, has attention deficit disorder that no ritalin could touch; the Ridgeback is just a big sweet old slobberpuss that lets out the occasional hounddog howl, but wouldn't chase anything unless he wanted to lick it. Plus they're both getting up there in years.

This new dog will spend most of his or her days outdoors (weather permitting) off a leash, and will need to be quite trainable, easily socialized, highly alert, willing to stay within property lines (the perimeter of the orchard isn't fenced) but non-aggressive toward anyone but an intruder. They'd also need to be able to co-exist in a house with two other dogs but no children or cats. My preference would be for a short-haired, low-maintenance breed, and one that would be relatively laidback indoors. No yappers or counter surfers.

My initial thoughts were to go with an Australian Shepard or a Border Collie, but I don't want to deal with the long hair and shedding. I'm open to a wonderful mutt, but it would be a total crapshoot if it were left up to me to choose the right dog at a shelter. I'd rather have a breeder help me make the right choice based on puppy temperment testing and knowing the home in which the new dog would be living. I'm just not sure which breed(s) would be the best for the job.

By the way, the orchard is 7 acres of trees, on a parcel that's about 16 acres in size. Aside from the orchard trees, it's all open field, with the exception of the house and barn that are soon to be built. The perimeter of the property is completely surrounded by tall birch trees, so it would be apparent to a dog where the edge of the property is.

Any suggestions?

John

Comments (26)