SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amiz5904

cedar shavings & stupidity killed my banty hen

amiz5904
18 years ago

My favorite little banty hen, Amy, a quail antwerp belgian died yesterday thanks to me. I knew better, but on classroom at the coop there's a lady who breeds bantams and she keeps them on cedar shavings. I had read that they were toxic, but I was in a hurry to get her inside before the hurricane so I grabbed the cedar shavings instead of opening a big bale of pine shavings. I didn't want to leave her locked in the coop with the rest of the turkeys and chickens because she was so tiny. So I put her in a carrier and brought her inside. Needless to say, my "help" killed her. I am so heartbroken.

She was never very thrifty and I had started bringing her in the house for some rice, beans and scrambled eggs a few times a day in an effort to put some weight on her. Well, she caught on fast and every morning she'd be standing at the back door waiting for her "special breakfast."

I suppose it's even harder because people don't understand that you're upset because you lost a chicken. A cat or a dog, yes. A chicken? Well, it's kind of a reach. Thanks for listening.

Audrey

Comments (12)