SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sckitchen_gardener_8

Follow tomatoes with eggplants?

My growing season is very hot already, and I am trying to go with the flow. I pulled up some poor performing Big Boys and a Cherokee Purple, and a box store cucumber and a bunch of SVB eaten squash plants, most of which looked really stressed out and had leaf diseases.

I would like to replace them with something that can thrive in the heat. I use a soaker hose under a deep mulch of newspaper and straw. I garden in the ground and I home compost where I encourage lots of worm activity with coffee grounds and straw and lots of water. I don't strive to get a lot of heat in the composter. It is a worm haven.

All of the plants I pulled up had nice looking roots, no knots, looked really healthy, long and clean. The soil is well amended, fluffy and dark, not like the native sand.

I have hardening off right now, what I could get my hands on: some Beauregard Sweet potato plants, and a large collection of small and large eggplants, some from big box store, some from local garden center. The varieties for those interested: Orient Charm, Rose Bianca, and Black Beauty.

My questions center mainly where to place what. I must plant in a recently vacated space. I've never planted sweet potatoes before. I assume most sweet potatoes are bedded like strawberries and need some freedom to spread and encroach, but do they really need to be planted together? I mention this because of my approach to planting tomatoes - lots of space to ensure airflow. So my planting hole opportunities are a mixed bag. Whatever goes in will follow a curcabit or a tomato. I could use some guidance. I know conventional wisdom is not to follow with a variety from the same family. So that bit of wisdom would nix following the tomatoes with the eggplants. Are the leaf diseases likely to transfer?

Appreciate any comments you have. I know you guys are probably busy, it looks like the seasons to the north and east of me have been usually compressed. You are in my thoughts.

Comments (3)