SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arkiema

Can someone help me with my little donkey

arkiema
18 years ago

I have a 6 year old jenny that is wasting away. I've had her to the vet. He's a great vet, we've used him for years.

A little history.

In May she was seperated from the jack she's been with since she was 5 months old. We sold him.

She has other jenny's and a 4 month old jack as company.

The first of July she got pnenomia and we had her to the vet. It took her about a week to start eating well after that treatment and she's well now. Vet checked her and gave her a clean bill of health from that episode.

She used to love grain and whole corn that she stole from the ducks. Now she'll only nibble a bit and walk away.

I've had her teeth checked, she's was wormed 4 weeks ago, vet did blood work, it came back okay.....no clues there.

She's seriously underweight. I've bought prime bermuda hay for her and confined her, she paces the fence wanting to be with the others. igonoring the hay and grain.

I suspect she may be bred with a Feb. foal and I'm frantic to get her back in condition before she has the foal.

I"ve tried every tidbit I can think of. Every type of grain, corn, etc. Dry and wet....

Could she be greiving for the jack we sold? Our vet said that is a possibility. He's stumped.....

Anyone have any advice.

Vet has given her some appetite enhancers that seem to work for a day or two but then she's back to the same .

We're suffering a severe drought and pastures aren't the best they've been and we've had the temps in the high 90's for weeks so I know that's not helping much.

Any one have any ideas as to why she won't eat the grain..

or why she's getting so poor.....I've even brought her into my fenced yard and let the lawn grow, she is more concerned about being seperated from the others than she is eating the tall green grass.

thanks in advance for any ideaa

arkiema

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County