SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sullicorbitt

Speaking of 'Humane' I need some advice

sullicorbitt
16 years ago

I have a little BLRW chick, she is probably about 6 weeks old or so. She has had a slipped tendon since she was a week old. I tried a multitude of things to help her including high end chicken vitamins, a zillion different splints and even a suspended elastic to ceiling rig to help get her off the ground.

All the stuff I read on the condition was hopeless and none of my ideas helped her at all (about $30 in supplies down the drain).

Here is my question. I have just moved her and her roo hatch companion to the floor w/the peaceful coop (silkies and polish mostly, all very easy going and sweet). Is it humane to keep her or should I put her down? She cannot walk or even hop but kind of scurries around in an odd sort of way. I think she will end up staying inside most of the time. I will need to keep the coop especially clean if I keep her since she is on the floor all the time but I have been doing so anyway since the silkies feet get too yucky if it isn't clean.

I am really torn up about this situation, I am taking it one day at a time but find I continually question her quality of life. I didn't mention that she is really beautiful.

:( it's such a bummer, thanks for any advice.

-Sheila

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County