SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chicken_ingenue

New chicken owner

chicken_ingenue
18 years ago

hello, to everyone or Hey which is what everyone says where I come from S. I am the new proud owner of three chickens. I have always wanted some and finally talked my hubbie into them. I am very new and know absolutely nothing but I thought that would be the fun in this little adventure. a friend of at my husbands work gave us three "hens", he says he thought they were about three months old, now let me say again we know NOTHING about chickens, but I had a sneaky suspesion that they might not all be hens and after three weeks it was becoming boldly apparent. (chuckling) anyway we had another guy come look and he said yep roosters, WHAT a waste of laying mash three weeks worth for noting. MAN I was bound and determined to get an egg outta them chickens but it wasn't to be. They were very healthy though. We had two roosters and one hen. Hubbies friend came back and took away the roosters and left us with two more chickens which he said he was 70% sure were hens. but they were starting to molt and didn't have any tail feathers seems as they were kept in a hot crowded pen. It has been a few days and I am wondering if I have at least one rooster again. We live inside the city limits and I am afraid that the neighbors will complain once the crowing starts also I have heard that roosters get mean when they mature. My question is how can I tell sooner rather then later if I have a rooster. I have a rhode island red which I am really wondering about and a dominiques which I am not sure about either although it is smaller. both of these types have a larger comb then the buff orpington that I have and I guess that is what is really making me nervous. the red is starting to get skin around the side of his face but maybe that is just the type of breed. Any help you could give me would be very helpful.

thanks

Chicken ingenue

Comments (11)