SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginam_oh

Yippee! I'm now a chicken owner!! :)

ginam_oh
18 years ago

Picked up five pullets last night--three Ameracaunas and two Golden Comets. They're so very pretty and in fabulous health! Bright eyes, perky dispositions, and great feathers.

We put them into their coop with adjoining run and they immediately commenced to pecking away at blades of grass and other yummies that they apparently found. I swear my blood pressure dropped 10 points just by watching them.

Poor things were chilly last night, though. For whatever reason, they did not want to use the roosts and opted to attempt to roost in the doorway. Well, only two fit, and two of the other three were inside the coop, but one poor gal was left outside and it was misting a bit. She looked so sad! I finally went out and shooed all of them inside, where there's at least a nice warm fluffy pine shavings bed if they're not going to roost. They were there this morning when I left for work, one right next to the other and fast asleep.

I'm so, so, so excited about this. They're used to being handled so they were very good about my clumsy attempts to befriend them. Tonight I think I'll give them a treat of some kind....maybe those big mealworms Velvet Sparrow writes about. I wanna be the food lady so they come a running whenever they see me. :)

Any suggestions for getting them to use their roost? And how can I be sure they're warm enough, other than giving them plenty of bedding and a ventilated but sheltered coop? As a first-time chicken owner I'm totally open to suggestions.

Comments (4)