SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megajas

quick question re-acreage size

megajas
16 years ago

We are looking to purchase a 2nd property for future homesite/retirement/vacation, ect... but I also want to buy where the zoning is ag/farm in order for us to have a few dairy goats, chickens and rabbits (not to mention my gardens!). Anyway, my question is, in Virginia/NC how much area should I be looking for ... I want to have a nice buffer of trees/woods between my and any neighboring properties, about 1/2-1 acre in hay for feed, about 1 acre in gardens and orchards and 1/2-1 acre cleared around the house for "play" areas. My MIL kept quite a few Nubians on her 1 acre lot in a fenced area, but the space got quite dirty Fast and lots of supplimental feeding .. how much room would I need in 2 rotating pens for 2-3 Kinder goats? Also, how often would you need to rotate them from one area to another without over-grazing? Would it need to be clear cut or can the fenced area include trees and such inside the area? What would the MINIMUM amount of land that I should look for to keep everyone/thing happy?

THanks!

-Bonnie

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!