SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonefishin_gw

Black eyed pea F2 qiads update

gonefishin
16 years ago

I thought that it was interesting last year that quite a few of my black eyed peas had three and four pods on each stem instead of the usual two. So, I saved seed to plant this year to see if that trait would carry over.

It has not been an ideal year to say the least, we had a late freeze with a little bit of snow after they came up, which killed many of them and damaged most of the rest to some extent. I replanted in the skips in the row and those came up later on, after going thru some tropical type deluges like a little over 4 inches of rain in one day, followed by one of the wettest springs that I can remember.

Overall I guess that they are lucky to have survived to produce like {{gwi:67471}}. The peas do not seem as big, succulent or tender as they have in the past, but I do not know yet how they will be when cooked. I almost have enough of the first ones to mature enough to pick, saved up to shell and try them out.

There are some of the vines (probably 25 percent or less) that do have {{gwi:67472}} on the stems, and quite a few that have {{gwi:67473}}.

I will save some seed from these to see what will happen with the next generation, of course. Does anyone know the genetics on black eyed peas well enough to express an educated opinion on what is likely to be the outcome ?

Or, any other comments or opinions welcomed.

Bill P.

Comments (10)