SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bencjedi

Finally found free 5-gallon drums for rain barrels

bencjedi
16 years ago

Finally after looking around all summer I found free 55-gallon plastic drums to make rain barrels out of. My concern is that these drums held Kodak microfilm fixer and replenisher. Evidently the stuff is made of water, iodide, acetic acid, sodium bisulfite, ammonium bisulfate and ammonium thiosulfate. There's still some sloshing around in the bottom of the containers.

I was prepared to clean out with bleach water until wikipedia says sodium bisulfite combined with bleach releases harmful fumes. The ammonium bisulfate is also harmful to mucous membranes and should he handled with care.

The other ingredients don't pose harm (the ammonium thiosulfate is actually helps enhance nitrogen efficiency).

It is next to impossible to find free plastic drums in my area, so I thought I hit a big score, but the toxicity worries me. I was thinking my only strategy is to cut a large hole at the top and flush in a great deal of water (wearing protection). Maybe I can scrub the inside with shampoo if it still smells somewhat after all the flushing? Ideas?

Comments (11)

Sponsored