SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

I've never seen anything like it!!!!

laceyvail 6A, WV
9 years ago

I've been vegetable gardening for almost 50 years. I've gardened in 4 states and several localities in each state. For about 30 years, I've done permanent beds, mulched with hay and the paths mulched with wood chips.
I've lived in my present location for almost 20 years. For the first few years, my garden wasn't fenced at all; I had good dogs. Then I put up a single strand electric fence which worked great as long as I had the dogs. Never had deer get in, though I do still struggle with moles and voles.

The dogs are gone and this year I bit the bullet and had an 8 ft fence put in--locust posts wrapped with heavy duty black plastic mesh, the bottom part reinforced with galvanized fencing.

Early in the spring, squirrels climbed the fence and dug all over the veggie garden looking for their buried nuts. I've never ever had this happen before, but hey, it was a hard winter and I guess they were really hungry. It was a pain in the neck, but I was able to cover planted areas with netting; that worked well.

For the last few weeks, the squirrels have left the garden alone. But this morning the entire garden path areas, 8 of them, all about 20 ft long, were heavily dug, all up and down the paths right next to the beds. In some places it almost looked as if a tiller had gone through. Digging had also been done all around the compost pile. But, thank God, there was no digging in the beds.

But what the hell was it? The holes were bigger than what squirrels dig; their holes were even sized and neat. This almost looked as if a dog had been digging. And why only in the paths? There is one spot under the big fence door that a skunk might possibly have gotten in, but it really didn't look like the neat little holes skunks dig in the lawn looking for grubs. On the other hand, it's been very dry, the lawn is hard, and those paths are really easy to dig. But so are the beds, which were left alone.

I'm really baffled. And it's not fair to have such a mess after spending $1300 on a serious fence!

Anybody have any ideas?

Comments (13)