SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

The wisdom of trellising Crenshaw melon vines?

anney
16 years ago

This morning I realized that my Crenshaw melon vines are just about nine feet tall, and they haven't finished growing at ALL:

{{gwi:66303}}

Those melon trellises are 8' tall, none of the fruits are nearly ripe, and on the back trellis where the Crenshaws are, the longest vine has already tipped over and is headed south again. The closer trellis supports charentais melon vines, and they aren't nearly as rampant. The two trellises are about 8 feet apart, and that certainly doesn't keep the two melon varieties separate either!

This is my first year growing them, and I hope they're as tasty as one I bought in the grocery store a couple of years ago.

Since I'm not sure what cutting off the tops of the vines would do to their production, I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be better to let the Crenshaws sprawl if I grow them again. If any fruits develop at the top of that trellis, I won't be able to put them in a sling without a ladder, and the vines are an impenetrable mass at the bottom of the trellis -- not all the vines have chosen to climb it. The melons are supposed to weigh around six pounds. Maybe I just ought to plant them someplace, not trellis them next year, and put a block of wood or something else under the fruits to keep them from slugs or other meanie insects.

Has anyone who's grown Crenshaws got any advice?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County