SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lunchwithdeb

2 weeks missing hen, found her in shed with eggs

lunchwithdeb
17 years ago

About four weeks ago two of my hens went missing. On Mother's day we found one in the shed, between an old motorcycle and an even older lawn mower. She was sitting on eggs, but without a rooster, she'd be sitting on them until?? So, a friend brought over some fertile eggs and we did a sneaky switch. By the way, the other missing girl has shown up just once. We supect she's off somewhere sitting on eggs (that will never hatch) as well. Our back yard is huge and there's also a big field and lots of trees behind our house. Many places to hide for sure.

This Sunday will be 21 days for the eggs. The shed is very hot...100 - 105 during the day this past week. I will try to keep a close eye on the eggs and I'd like to move the whole family into the henhouse but I don't know if this is a good idea. First of all, this is a hen who was resuced, and the minute she arrived she flew up into a tree and only came down to eat. She's not crazy about people. She never warmed up to my other hens. So, I wonder what might happen when I put her and her babies into the henhouse with the others. The door to the henhouse is open all day. Then come and go as they please. At night some of the girls fly up into the tree and some sleep inside. (I know I'd get an "F" in Farm Wife Class.)

So, any ideas on how to keep the chicks safe? Should I lock Mom and babies up alone for a few days and leave the others out? That seems kind of mean, I know. But I am worried about their safety. Thanks!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living