SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adaorand

Big Plastic Buckets - Share Your Tips

adaorand
20 years ago

I get the big buckets free from the bakery (icing comes in them) and from a nearby paint contractor (latex Paint). Hot, soapy scrubbings and we're ready to go.
I use them to store potting soil, carry fertilizer water, as a gardening stool, tool tote, and even made a little composter from one. And, of course, planters (a spade bit or small hole saw make drain holes).
What are some of the ways you use these big buckets??
AdaO
P.S. I keep two in the linen closet for doing hand laundry. They are more convenient the the sink -- bigger and can be placed it the tub if I need to presoak anything, like grass stains.

Comments (42)

• tomato_dude
    20 years ago

i cut the bottom of 5gal buckets and put them around my tomato plants in the garden twisting them about 2 to3inches
    into the soil. this takes care of wind problems and pests.
    i take them off when the plants start coming out the top and
    put on the cages
    Ron

• thorspippi
    20 years ago

I use one to catch the "tea" from my worm bin (I have the Can O' Worms, which works fine for just us two). I use one to hold the kitchen scraps for the worms. I have 5 gal bucket that I keep my hand tools in.

• Related Discussions

Please share your best tips for cauliflower

Q

Comments (5)
    So, would you feed again with plant tone, or foliar feed with fish emulsion? If those were my only 2 choices I'd use the Plant Tone. I don't recall the ratings on it but at least it is well-balanced unlike the fish emulsion. Then again dry organic fertilizers only work when there is sufficient soil bacteria to convert them to usable nutrients. So they are slow-acting. Your best bet if you want only organics is one of the many well-balanced liquid organic fertilizers that also include micro-nutrients. Dave
    ...See More

Overwintering-- please share your tips

Q

Comments (4)
    Mehitabel, All my jasmine plants are 2-3-4-5ft tall when outdoors. When I bring them indoors, I remove all old leaves and cut the plants down to 1ft for j.sambac varieties and 3ft for j.molle. I cut the plants though they have buds that might bloom indoors because I am sure I will be carrying pests indoors without trimming them. After trimming, I spray wash with water to get rid of big bugs if any in the morning, then in the evening I spray the plant with neem oil solution mix with dish soap. I spray the stems, leaves top/bottom to make sure if any minute bugs/ eggs, they get smothered with oil/soap to get destroyed. Once the spary dries out, I bring the plant indoors into my morning room next to kitchen. They stay good until Jan and then I notice spider mites on some due to dry air indoors. To treat them I give them good wash for big plants under shower small ones in kitchen sink. If I find severe spider mites infestation then I use neem oil treatment if needed but generally I don't use pesticides indoors. I do feed the plants with dyna gro foliar pro very diluted with each watering maintaining indoors. I water them only when the pots feel light when lifted, overwatering is very bad for any of these tropicals when indoors. I have been maintaining these plants this way 4-5 years now and it seems to be working out for me. I already trimmed some of my jasmines and brought them indoors. Hope this info is helpful.
    ...See More

Share your food photography tips

Q

Comments (9)
    Taking food photos professionally is not easy. It requires expensive equipment, lots of time, years of training, a good size studio, and lots of cold food. IMHO, for the purpose of showing everyday cooking and to share as many your work as possible with others in this forum, it will require a different strategy. Not that I am the expert, I have found the following works for me well. 1. One high wattage daylight CFL (Amazon.com) which I put on top of my dinning room cabinet aiming at the white ceiling. 2. One large kitchen microwave container on the CFL bulb to diffuse the light. 3. One tripod. 4. One normal digital camera (Coolpix 8400). That's all. Nothing more. After a dish is made and I dump everything on a plate as quickly as I can, I just put it on the dinning table, turn on the light, snap a side view, and use the tripod to snap a top view. What you see is what you get. The whole process takes not too many seconds. Tips? Just one, don't use you flash. If you don't have bright enough light, use the tripod and the camera's self timer. dcarch
    ...See More

After tangled chains, what about jammed plastic buckets??

Q

Comments (14)
    Happy update: I drilled a hole in the bottom of a stack of three and then fiddled with them. It worked! Kept drilling the other stacks and now am very happy. Made lots of drainage holes in all. Now to get planting. Many thanks to all of you for good ideas! Joyful -- at just under 5' tall, I'd do better to stand on them to "get up in the world". LOL. =)
    ...See More
  • cherylm
    20 years ago

soak bare root plants. drag tools around the yard. turn 'em upside down and take a break!

• girlgroupgirl
    20 years ago

Oh, goodness. What would we do without these?
    wash plant roots in 'em for shipping plants.
    wash all my old pots in them before I refill them.
    tote them around and put weeds you pull in 'em.
    ariate the chlorine from the water for your housplants
    keep your kitten happy while you garden and it hops in
    and out of the bucket over and over again...

GGG

• mudbugtx
    20 years ago

Cut 2" holes around the outside and drain holes in the bottom and turn it into a strawberry planter. Store bulk ferts. like molasses, alfalfa and cottonseed meal 'cause the paper bags they come in from the feed store rot pretty quick.

• JudyL
    20 years ago

Keep one next to the fireplace filled with split kindling, small stuff that I don't want in the copper boiler with the split wood. Also, I use them to store - bird seed, cat food, dog food.
    Judy

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    20 years ago

Very interesting picture at the first follow-up in the link below to the gardenweb experiments forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: upside-down plants

• gardenfaerie
    20 years ago

Ooh! Ooh! I just found a blue 5-gallon bucket at the side of the road the other week! Was I happy. :) I have a smaller bucket I use to hold weeds--handy for carrying with you in tight spaces and then emptying as needed into a bigger bin--but it will be nice to use this larger one for the same purpose.

I also use it as a stool and as a tool caddy. But my favorite use yet is as a "mixing bowl" for my own potting soil (I don't buy it premade). The bucket makes it tidy and the excess soil can stay in there until I need it again. I also wet my soil before planting and the bucket is high and wide enough that I can easily do that too, without spilling over the edges. It's also big enough that I can make up a good amount ONCE and then use it as I go.

Monica

• KathyOH
    20 years ago

This keeps those stupid extension cords neat. Make a hole to stick the plug in thru and coil the rest so you can pull out what you need. You can plug in additional cords too to make it longer. I love this no more tangled cords that you have to unwind to use.

• mollies
    20 years ago

We have a cat, so we get kitty litter in jugs that hold a bit over 2 gallons. But the bigger buckets, which are square, hold about 4 gallons. I'm going to try to switch us over to those.

• bruggirl
    20 years ago

I painted a few, removed the handles, and stuck them around the back yard with water or bog plants in them.

• yellowhair
    20 years ago

I was looking around my work area and saw that I have 2 of the white pickle-bucket type buckets, but they were used for dishwashing liquid at the nursing home where I used to work. This liquid was concentrated levels, so I'll have to really clean these out good if I use them for veggies.

But, I had forgot about them since I was using them for a shelf------I put a board, for a table top, on top of the two buckets----instant work table. And I had a plastic tabelcloth on top of them. My wafer board rotted after a year of being out in the weather. It was going to the trash anyway, or being used for firewood, so it didn't cost me anything.

If you need an extra table, use 2 pickle buckets and a board!

• Linda_8B
    20 years ago

To soak compost and make compost tea.

• Linda_8B
    20 years ago

To soak compost and make compost tea.

• piegirl
    20 years ago

My family owned a bakery so my dad cut out the bottoms and I use them over winter pansies or other new perennials that might need extra attention. Also use ones with the bottoms still in for weeds, mixing, etc. One of the bottomless ones currently has a galvinized garbage can lid on top and makes a great bird bath - just a few minutes ago, Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal were taking their Saturday nite bath. piegirl

• babanna
    20 years ago

cracked ones or with holes are def. for planting, use them to transport dirt, sawdust, tools, animal feed & water (gotta love my ducks/geese/guineas/chickens/ rabbits, also my neighbor makes laying nests out of them, great for gathering seeds in bulk (blanket flowers, etc), also use to gather cut flowers in them with a little water can cut flowers and stick in the bucket as I go around, also use for my gardening tools and a handy seat when outside
    ....if only I could keep them away from that DH of mine who keeps using them for his tools and whatnots!

• madmom
    20 years ago

I use the big commercial spackle buckets when I'm weeding. Just fill them up and have the kids dump them. Also I'm going to try a worm bin this year.

• veilchen
    20 years ago

I love them for hauling things around, esp. compost and mulch in those areas where the wheelbarrow would be overkill. I line my trunk with them and go to the city compost facility when I don't have a truck and need just a little for some new plantings. Of course carry one around to throw weeds into.

I always take one with me when I'm planting something. I pull the mulch back, dig a hole and temporarily place the dirt in the bucket. Then I can mix the dirt with compost in the bucket and backfill the planting hole.

If I have something that needs watering way out back, and don't want to mess with hooking up several hoses to make it there, I just fill the bucket with water and carry it back there. Holds much more than my largest watering can, so I only need to make one trip.

• Sandi_W
    19 years ago

I use the buckets for just about everything already mentioned. I cut the bottoms from the buckets and dig holes in my beds where I want plants that stray too far. I bury the buckets so that only about 2 inches is above ground and then add my soil and plant. I use pinestraw as mulch and it covers the top of the buckets so they barely show. It works great for my cannas and Jerusalem Artichokes.

• dawnstorm
    19 years ago

What DON'T I use them for? I've set some aside for water changes in the fish tank, others are used for housecleaning and still others hold birdseed. I've also got some that hold excess soil. The possibilities are endless!

• garden_witch
    19 years ago

So many uses =) Hubby and I both have our own buckets, we keep them seperate cuz his get icky ;) Heres what we use ours for...

DH's buckets
    Sawhorses (sometimes he uses mine by mistake, so the edges are a little cut up on mine!)
    Mixing small batches of cement
    Hauling kennel scrapings to the 'pooh pile' (I told you they get icky!)
    Temporary trash cans

MY buckets
    One outside the back door for holding kitchen sraps, I haul it out to the compost pile about once a week
    Weeding- I carry one along while I weed, then I can make fewer trips to the compost pile
    Mixing up home made potting soil and storing potting mix
    Compost tea
    Garden tool caddy
    Hauling small amounts of compost
    Harvesting veggies
    etc, etc, etc !

• hannahholly
    19 years ago

I made a water reservoir for my greenhouse out of one by drilling a hole in the side of the bucket just above the bottom and siliconed some clear plastic tubing in to seal it. I fill it with water and put the lid on, and when potted plants inside the greenhouse need watered, I put them in an old sink that has a hose that drains to the outside, and i water my plants. It is a good substitute for running water in the greenhouse.

• Luvwest
    19 years ago

Pee in it while out working in the garden and dump it on the compost pile! LOL!

• loveit
    19 years ago

I know it's frugal GARDENING, but I belong to an organization where we use it for our car washes! Put some soap in the bucket, add water, throw the sponges in there, you're set... next car, please.

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    19 years ago

I made a flower gathering bucket by cutting a circle of chicken wire a bit larger than the bucket. While wearing gloves I turned down the edges so it would fit tightly inside the bucket. Pushed it down about half way. Put in about 10" of water and went out to cut flowers. Works great! The chicken wire will hold my flowers erect so the stems don't break or let the flowers slip under the water and get soggy. I keep a couple buckets ready at all times.
    TrowelGal

• bommie
    19 years ago

I have a bunch, they are so versatile.

The nastiest one -I drilled two small holes in the bottom.
    I fill it up and place it somewhere that needs slow soaking.
    Works just fine.

• oneduck55
    19 years ago

I used to make a childs' seat . The top of the bucket was cut down to leave a back for the chair and a didk was cut from wood for the seat I padded the seat . the child was able to carry this around everywhere by the handle and under the disk seat he could store his toys and put the seat down and sit to watch tv or play. Then I either painted it or the child di and decorated it with stickers.

• primrozie
    19 years ago

Well, I use them the same way everyone else does evidently. I also carry a couple with me in my van. Never know what you might come across in your travels. Last weekend I was at a friend of a friend's camp and she sent me home with a nice clump of grass growing by the creek for my pond. (She has oodles of it) and some great rocks to border my path. I also carry a small shovel in one.

I've also used them to put the kids muddy clothes and shoes in so the van doesn't get trashed. Ice bucket to hold the icecream I got a great deal on when kinda far from home.

I have come across a problem though and thought maybe someone here would have an idea.

My eggplant were very slow in germinating and now are extremely slow growers. I may as well not even transplant them into the garden because the season is too short now for them.

I was considering planting them in buckets and putting them in the greenhouse ~ it will be warmer in there in the fall and early winter ~ possibly I can still get some eggplant. Anyway ~ does anyone know how I could make a self-watering container out of them for these plants? I don't use the greenhouse for much more than storage these days and I'm afraid I'll forget about them.

• mantorvillain
    19 years ago

Was just 'browing' at the dump last weekend and found over 30 5 gal buckets which had had asphalt sealer in them. All had been rinsed. I got 10, cut the bottoms off 8 and stacked the bottomless ones in the ones I left the bottom on, ran a screw through the top one into the side of my shed and presto great organizers for long handled tools (I lined up all the handles and like the look). The cut off botoms also gave me 8 nice new big black drip saucers (left 2" lip).......all for free!

• earthling
    19 years ago

Punch holes in the bottom and plant brugs in them.

• terris1959
    19 years ago

I cut about 3" up from the bottom and then use for stepping stone molds.

• lizziem62
    19 years ago

i too love these!!!!

we rescued 40 from the garbage. all clean and everything.
    use them for all kinds of stuff already mentioned.

but, i have a question. have you seen the inserts you can buy for a 5 gallon pail? i think they call them pail caddy? anyway, they are full of pockets on the outside and inside for better organization of tools. my question is, does anyone have a pattern to make your own?

i have one other idea that i am planning to do with 4 buckets. i am going to sew skirts and cushion tops to make nice looking seats. i am struggling for small nice looking seating in my back yard. and these would make the perfect little campfire seats. i may even hinge the tops so i can store kindling & whatnot inside of them. i plan to use waterproof,weatherproof material from the tent & awning store. only problem is im not sure when i will actually get it done.

• BradleyQT
    19 years ago

I use mine to as containers and to elevate my containers so they get a better chance at the sun from my north-facing balcony.

For all you soccer moms out there:

Throw the cleats and water bottle inside and add a round garden type pillow (or fundraiser sit-upon) to the lid and you have the perfect sideline chair/sports caddy. The Oregon University ultimate (frisbee) team makes sideline caddies for all their players.

They work well for any sport (swimming, soccer etc.) and it's nice to have a chair instead of standing or sitting on the ground.

The Duluth trading company makes the "Bucket Boss", which sounds very much like the pail caddy.

• birdannelady
    19 years ago

I use bird seed and kitty litter buckets for most of the things mentioned by all of you plus you have given me new ideas. I also use mine for catching rain water that comes off of our roof. We don't have gutters so it just comes off the roof overhang. I put the buckets there and catch rain then use it to water my plants, esp. the potted plants.

• skipp
    19 years ago

I have an equal amount of 3 and 5 gallon buckets. I use them for taking a "premeasured" amount of leaves out to the compost heaps. Storing compost is another invaluable use for my buckets and many other uses. My goal this year is to find some black buckets and plant my spring potatoes. Any ideas where to find this special bucket?

• socks
    19 years ago

Black buckets? Could you use 5-gallon plastic pots?

You grow potatoes in buckets? I'd like to know more about that.

• dellingd
    19 years ago

Hello Everyone, been lurking for a while. I have 2, 55gal fish tanks which I have to change a third of the water in a couple times a week. A short plastic hose pulls water out of tank into (guess what) a 5gal bucket to water my hanging plants in the back yard and all of my plants in the front yard. Works great for scrap wood in the workshop too.

• skipp
    19 years ago

Socks:
    I've heard that you can grow potatoes in a bucket, but it has to be black to not allow any light to the spuds. So I will be attempting to grow potatoes this year in a bucket. Also heard that growing above ground makes harvesting a breeze.

• GrassIsEvil
    19 years ago

In addition to the many uses listed above, I have a few more, some of them related to the animal adjuncts to gardening:

Put a hot water bottle in the bottom of the bucket and cover it with a towel. You now have an emergency carrier for newborn lambs, kids, kittens, puppies, and all other small creatures. Cover them with another towel or blanket and they'll stay cozy while you work. Having them in the bucket means you have your hands free to hold flashlights and open gates. Extra handling is eliminated and there isn't such a large risk of dropping the youngster(s) as there would be if you carried them in your arms.

Put an inch of sand in the bottom. Set up a heat lamp and you have a nursery for chicks, ducklings, rabbits. Punch holes in a lid for a cover that eliminates escapes. You can keep the babies in the bathroom where it's warm without finding strays in the kitchen in the morning.

Put an inch of sand in the bottom and add a couple of inches of water and you have a swimming pool for ducklings. I am NOT cleaning the duck poo out of the bathtub again.

Fill with sand/rocks/water and put on lids to make stands and playground equipment for the goats.

Use as a container for aquatic plants you're putting in a pond. The bale makes for easier lifting.

Cut out the bottom and make a 'basket' for nerf basketball.

Set upright and filled with rocks, dirt and straw and partially sunk, they make nesting boxes for ducks.

Nailed horizontally and filled with straw, they make nesting boxes for chickens.

Fill with sand and put in the back of a vehicle to give it additional weight or use the sand to give traction on ice or snow.

Make manure tea. A lid is a wonderful thing.

Set a flower pot inside and the bucket will help stabilize it while you're driving to deliver a plant to a friend. And even if the plant does turn over, the dirt and water won't go into the carpet.

Punch holes in the lid of a bucket and use it as a car carrier for rabbits, puppies, and any other small creature you don't have a regular transport crate for.

Ray

• Woodsy
    19 years ago

I love these buckets! I've also used them for planting as Sandi W said...I call them bucket pockets...I use them in areas where I don't want any maintenance (a gravel bed), cut them in half, spray paint to match gravel color, bury them so that the lip is above ground, add compost, and plant. The lip sticking up keeps the gravel out of the plants...my 84 year old mother loves the ones I did for her. I use a thick layer of newspaper under the gravel to deter weeds...and use the bottom of the bucket to hold plants I put in nursery beds to mature in.

I also make "weeping rock" water features using them. Dig a hole and put bucket in ground so that lip of bucket is at ground level..fill in dirt, keeping inside of bucket clean. Add a pond pump inside, leaving about 6 inches of hose above ground.Place a piece of pond liner, or very heavy plastic(must be flexible) with a 3 inch hole cut in the center-over the bucket, extending about about 8-12 inches beyond bucket, pulling hose up through center hole. Lay an old refridgerator rack, or the rack off an old round bbq grill over the rubber..making sure the rack is larger than the bucket!, again pulling up hose through grill. Lay/stack rocks that will not fall through grill to cover grill and surrounding pond liner, and mounding a few to cover and hold up hose..cut hose off so it doesn't show above rocks..pour water in, plug in pump and turn on...water just girgles up and splashes around rocks, back into bucket (liner sags at hole and lets water run back in) and up again. Cover cord with mulch or more rocks. Lovely sound, good in a shady area, and easy to maintain..just be sure to add water regularly so it does not dry out. Toads love it, birds love it, I love it!
    Woodsy

• kendal
    19 years ago

They are great to use for weeding, easier to carry then a big garbage bag,and since I have many (they were filled with cat litter)I fill my garden cart, then pull it to the big garbage dumpster and dump them. I not only save money from having to buy garbage bags, but keep them from help filling up the landfill.

Kendal

• chezmonmi
    15 years ago

This is an old thread, but I did a search for potatoes in buckets and this came up!
    I thought I could cut the bottom out of the buckets, or maybe just drill drain holes, plant potatoes, cover with some soil, and keep adding soil as the plants grow until the bucket is full, and then just wait to harvest.
    Any thoughts?
    (oh boy, I hope someone knows if this would work)
    Thanks so much!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living