SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atarango_gw

cheap containers for frugal container gardening

atarango
17 years ago

My dad shared this tip with me last year and I thought I would share it with ya'll.

If you have a cat, and use cat litter, buy the litter in those large 30-35 lb buckets- the kind that Tidy Cat and Scoop Away sell their litter in. When the bucket is empty, wash out any leftover litter, rip the lid off (some of them have attached lids, some don't), drill holes in the bottom of the bucket for drainage, and lo and behold, you have a great container for growing stuff. My dad mainly grows small veggies in his cat-litter containers, stuff like green onions, kale, hot peppers, and herbs, but I am sure they would work well for plants and flowers too. He has even grown small tomato plants in the largest buckets (40lb buckets).

We must have about 5-6 of these "cat litter bucket planters" in my mom and dad's back yard.(They live in So. Cal) They work pretty good.

The only drawback is that most of the litter buckets have labeling that is hard to remove (like right on the plastic) so you have to be okay with people realizing that you are using a former cat litter bucket to grow your flowers or veggies in.

Comments (23)

Sponsored