SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alllove2u2

Balcony trellis gardening

alllove2u2
16 years ago

Yes.. Another newbie...Another set of questions...

Some facts first...

1...Location.. East facing balcony (rising sun) with about 3-5 hours direct light on the 10th story.

2...Plants... Cucumbers, zucchini, pumpkins, peppers and tomatoes (all from seed).

3..Growth... Tomatoes are about 10cm at the moment(2-3 weeks). Cucumbers , zucchini and pumpkins have just broken ground (after 1 week). Peppers haven't done anything visual (after 1 week).

So....What I would like...

1... I would like to put trellises on the north and south walls for the cucumbers, pumpkins and zucchini. I would have about a 1.5 meters by 40-60 cm on the ground for a growing box. The available height is around 2 meters.

2.. I'd like to "stick" the tomatoes and peppers. I'm hoping they'll be small enough to leave in pots and let them grow on a table on the west side of the balcony ( the table provides the height needed for direct sunlight)

Questions for vine plants...

1.. Will the pots need to be in direct sunlight (for the roots) or only the climbing vines? There is no direct sunlight on the ground.. I can get tables but this will lessen the available growing height by 60-70 cm

2. How many plants do you suggest for the space available? I have about 30 cucumbers, 20 zucchini and 3 pumpkins.. I would assume all of them would be rather crowded.. What would happen if I do plant them all? Wouldn't the weaker ones die out from overcrowding and leave me with the best plants?

3..What are the best ways to support heavy fruit that is trellised? (I.E. larger pumpkins)

Various questions...

1..How long before I should see that the peppers are growing?

2..I have the seedlings in "cardboard" planters and the roots are starting to push through the bottom. How long before I need to move them into the position I would like them to stay in? (The big floor box)

3..Is there a standard growth rate for these plants? Something I can use to know if they are growing properly or need to be moved, etc?

4...I started out using a planting mixture that was meant for seeds.. When I transfer the plants should I change this or do vegetables become used to the soil they're grown in?

That's all I can think of for now

Thanks to everyone for your assistance in advance.

Best,

Roger

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals