SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
groundhogbait

Something is eating my lettuce and squash buds?

groundhogbait
11 years ago

About two days ago I noticed that something has chewed off the tops of nearly all my romaine lettuce along one row, and I'm missing about half of all my new zucchini and squash buds.

The garden is fenced in with 4' tall fence with 1x2" wire fencing. There's no sign of anything digging under it, (its also buried 16" and bent outward at the bottom).

I don't see any tracks, there are no chewed leaves left behind, and the squash buds are over a foot high and are not bent down. Neighbors have had groundhog trouble in the past and we've got a ton of rabbits but I don't see tracks, the fence has always been critter proof, and nothing is bent down as if chewed by a small critter.

The lettuce looks as if something took one big bite and took off the top 1/3 of each plant. The tomatoes, yellow zucchini, okra, and cucumbers are not touched. I see no signs of bugs. I do have several 2" round holes in the garden that look like maybe mole holes, but I've never seen moles eat plant tops. Do birds eat lettuce or blossoms?

The lettuce I suppose could be some type of four legged critter, but the blossoms are too tall and not bent down to ground level. The ground is soft and from where and how the lettuce is eaten, there would be tracks.

Comments (13)

• emmers_m
    11 years ago

I watched a groundhog climb over my 7 foot trellis last year.

Groundhog proof seems to be a whole echelon above critter proof.

~emmers

• groundhogbait
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought about that but a ground hog would have left tracks and I doubt one could reach the tall buds on the zucchini plants without either folding over a few leaves or the flower stalks themselves. The buds are cut off almost right at the blossom, maybe a 1/4" down and no signs of the blossom on the ground.
    The dirt around the lettuce is raked smooth, even robbins leave tracks in it. It wasn't disturbed at all.

I did find quite a few earwigs when I pulled up my early pea plants, but the lettuce damage is too severe and too fast. It looks more like a deer took a big bite out of each head but I've never seen any deer this far into town and again, no tracks.

The way I've got the fence set up the top and bottom curl outward a good foot or so. I even doubled the fence since I had small rabbits pushing themselves through it. I ran a 24" tall section of rat wire with 1/4" holes around the lower part at the ground.

• Related Discussions

Something is eating the top off my new butternut squash seedlings

Q

Comments (11)
    I think it is slugs. I have seen this happen in my garden, and I second the idea of going out at night with a flashlight. Small slugs don't always leave visible trails. Birds are also a possibility. Sluggo should help with slugs/snails (and is available in an organic version). Netting will help with the birds. I now always sprinkle sluggo around seedlings, and cover all my beds with netting until the seedlings get a little bigger. I use 4x8 foot raised beds, and have netting tents that sit right on top of them.
    ...See More

Something is eating my summer squash blossoms (picture)

Q

Comments (8)
    Oh, yeah sorry.. The culprits are the ones that I listed above. I saw 1 cucumber beetle and squised it, but could not find any more. I've seen the birds in there a bit and judging by the picture I shared, it shows more of a laceration than bug chew damage (I think at least). As for zone, I am in South Eastern Michigan.
    ...See More

Something is eating the roots of my romaine lettuce seedlings

Q

Comments (3)
    Peter, I have the very same thing happening now with my Lollo Rosso Red head lettuce, yesterday I got the same thing when I barely tried to move the dead leaves, I noticed the middle leaves were good, but the plant came up in my hands so easily and when I checked for root there was none, and there was no innder stem, just a frame, some some sucker ate it up. I have 20 heads and would hate to lose them all, well now 18 as two are dead.
    ...See More

something eating my female acron squash blossoms.

Q

Comments (2)
    probably right. Well I covered 4 more last night, pollinated them this morning, and covered them again.
    ...See More
  • emmers_m
    11 years ago

That sounds like a better version of my new fence :)

I took 6 feet of chickenwire and bent several inches outward at the bottom and secured it with a run of paver blocks (too lazy to bury it) and left the top foot or so floppy. It's held up so far against the marauding hordes (except for squirrels and chipmunks of course) but I'm pretty sure the groundhog could get in if it wanted to.

My first line of defense is not letting it know that there's goodies in the garden. My 'hog troubles last year started when I foolishly left the garden door open to (I thought) allow the 3 baby bunnies that got in a chance to escape. Instead I ended up needing to chase a groundhog and three baby bunnies out of the garden - and herding baby bunnies is no easy task - and for the rest of the season the groundhog treated the garden like an all-you-can-eat buffet.

He did seem to like the squash, and the groundhogs in my yard can go up on their hind legs to nibble something tasty...

But considering the lack of tracks you do seem to have a puzzle on your hands - flying deer? Levitating groundhog? I don't think a bird would do what you're describing on your lettuce.

Hope it was a passing fancy and won't become a repeated offense.

~emmers

• groundhogbait
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I pretty much ruled out anything that can leave foot prints. I've gone so far as to sweep the area with a broom to be sure prints are left. The lettuce looks like it's been bitten off from the side, with all the plants in the aisle being hit, with the exception of one in the back of the patch with some nibbling off the now bolting leaves on top.
    I measured the blossoms that were cut off, their 20" tall. My Zucchini plants are nearing 5' tall right now, only the one plant, directly across from the lettuce at the end of two adjacent rows have been affected.
    I have several traps set for groundhogs, with lettuce, so far all I got was two very large rabbits, neither of which were capable of getting in with out leaving foot prints.
    I did find a few earwigs, but have never had damage due to those, but to be sure I dusted for them today. I also set a game camera in the garden. If its large enough to trigger the camera, I'll know what it is soon enough. I removed the eaten lettuce plants.
    I would also think that if it were a groundhog, I'd see damage to my red beets, squash, melons, cantaloupes, etc. Not to mention some sort of tracks.
    I haven't seen a deer in this area for 20 years, its just to densely populated and either way the neighbors dog or any one of my cats here would have chased it off. I've got one huge cat that loves fresh rabbit, its not often one gets near the garden without either a chase or becoming a gut pile in the grass.
    The round holes in the ground puzzle me, I don't see any mole hills, we generally don't have any snakes, and filling in the holes only lasts to the next morning. In several years now, I've not yet found the critter that made them.
    The cats drag in mice, chipmunks, rabbits, moles, voles, and on occasion a groundhog.
    The neighbor had a few burrowing under his shed, they died of lead poisoning last month, so far the holes haven't been re opened. We all look pretty hard to find new burrows, and take turns stalking them.
    I did shoot one last month that was able to stand almost 30" tall on his hind legs trying to look over the neighbors garden fence, but that was the last time he stuck his head up anywhere. The shot turned him into a fuzzy Pez dispenser.

Hopefully the game cam catches something tonight.

• emmers_m
    11 years ago

The round holes might be chipmunks? There are several of those in our lawn, and we see the chipmunks dart right in. It surprised me they were so out in the open in the lawn.

The vole holes in my garden were smaller, more like one inch diameter than two.

Hope your surveillance pays off.

~emmers

• aka_rach
    11 years ago

The holes sound like rat holes. If it is, your game cam will catch them.

• groundhogbait
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I came home today and found 90% of the lettuce chewed off to the ground, all of my leaf lettuce is gone, and one whole row of squash is trampled and chewed.
    The game came found the culprit, a HUGE ground hog, who visited at 9:57AM, and again at 4:37PM.
    The came shows him dropping into view, he didn't trip the camera til he had eaten quite a bit. There are no holes under the fence. He's got to be scaling the fence and jumping in. He never once touched the open aisle, he stayed in the lettuce, never letting his feet touch the dirt inbetween. He never left a track. The lettuce heads are 14" tall, with some starting to bolt, his back is higher than those. He's one fat critter. I left him a huge bait pile of easy to get at lettuce and apples, if he survives that I'll have to sit for him with a rifle. If the bait pile gets him, He's in for the ride of his life. I also set a half dozen traps in and around the garden.
    The part that gets me is that he scaled a 6' fence, with a 14" outward and downward overhang. I'd have trouble getting over that fence.
    I also found that he chewed through the adjacent shed, there's a 24" hole in the one wall, he chewed through the back wall, then tried to chew through the garden side wall to get at the garden. I had a problem years ago with chipmunks chewing through the garden side wall years ago and I doubled the T111 siding with a layer of sheet metal in between. I guess hee hit the sheet metal and gave up.
    The bad part is he not only got at my garden, but he's eaten up both neighbor's gardens, with the exception of one, who has no fence.

Another neighbor said she noticed that all her newly planted flowers were eaten this morning as well.
    Tonight I put a rifle at each back window of the house, if the bait pile surprise don't get him, some lead will.
    If he's as big as he looked in the game cam, he's pushing 30lbs or more.

• emmers_m
    11 years ago

I don't know if, for the sake of science and stronger fences, you'd be willing to let him make one more foray into the garden so that you could point your cam at the fence and see how he's getting over - I'd be interested to know, because I'll have the same problem if the 'hog who was wandering through the yard yesterday decides to see what's in my garden.

A last meal for the condemned, and for the advancement of groundhog exclusion technology?

• aka_rach
    11 years ago

Nice sleuthing!! Who knew they were so stealthy, and emmers called it.

Now, good luck getting rid of the varmit!

• groundhogbait
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The fence is just over 6' tall, the bottom of the fence is double and triple in some places with sheet metal buried well below the end of the fence. Digging under is just short of impossible unless he can eat through aluminum sheet metal and wire fence. The fence is three sided, bordered on the north west corner by a 10x15 wooden shed on an 8" think concrete slab. The lettuce is along the shed wall in 6 narrow rows about 20' long. So far he's eaten 3 rows down to the ground and never left a foot print in the aisle or dirt. His fir and tail must smooth over his foot prints. I left a huge bait pile of lettuce, broccoli, and cantaloupe yesterday, and sat waiting, he never touched it.
    I sat and watched the garden till about noon, went in for a bite to eat and came out 15 minutes later and 15 heads of lettuce were chewed off and no sign of the hog.
    I gave some thought to him maybe climbing over the shed and dropping in from the roof, but that wouldn't let him out. The fence is supported with poles about half way, so it won't support much weight hanging on it. Let alone a ground hog trying to climb over the outer overhang to get in.
    I did find some chewing on the adjacent shed today, but he gave up, and there's some digging around the edge of the garage on one corner but again, he hit the rough concrete over pour about 6" down and gave up.
    I have 6 live traps set, a dozen various size conibear traps set in among the remaining lettuce. So far he's not touched a trap. I dusted the surrounding area with cayenne pepper powder, figuring if he walks in it and licks it off, he's in for a surprise. I'm not sure if ground hogs are affected the same as we are by hot peppers?
    Also in the garden are various other sprouts, okra, new squash plants, onions, and melons but he's only gone after the lettuce and zucchini blossoms so far.
    If I catch the thing, will stringing up a dead one ward off others?
    I've combed all over the neighborhood and have yet to find a den or burrow, if I find his home, I know where to wait for him. At work, we've had a number of ground hogs burrow under the store room floor, but its just a matter of sitting and waiting for the hog to show his head and bang, he's gone.

• lkzz
    11 years ago

How about a trap - like what is used for raccoons? We have caught many a raccoon with something similar to the link below.

Hi everyone - I am new to gardenweb - I really appreciate all the advice here. :-)

(USDA Zone 7b)

Here is a link that might be useful: Havahart 1 Door Raccoon Trap

• Lenore3
    11 years ago

I can't believe he ate 15 heads of lettuce in 15 minutes! He must be watching you while you're watching for him! I wish I could provide some advice but it sounds like you're trying pretty much every possible option already.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!