SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_2006

Broccoli and Cabbage Guidance

holly-2006
15 years ago

Morning all!

I was wondering what to do with the 4 broccoli plants (Munchkin) and the 1 Early Jersey Wakefield cabbage that are in the garden. First year with these. Plants were started indoors about a month before planting out on April 20.

It seems that only 2 of the broccoli plants are showing any sign of heading, and those heads are no bigger than a thimble. The cabbage is starting to develop somewhat of a cone shape with maybe 6 or 7 leaves. All in all, they are very healthy looking without any damage whatsoever from flea beetles or cabbage worms.

With the warm weather quickly approaching, I'm wondering if these plants even have a chance of reaching maturity. The seed packages say that maturity is between 62-70 days. I do realize that maturity dates are just a guideline, but they've already been out there for about 2 months. I'm not sure how long it would take the plants to form mature heads - is it a rapid process, or a long drawn out affair?

As garden space here is at a premium, would you give it more time, or rip them out and dedicate the space to a warm season veggie?

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any guidance is much appreciated.

h.

Comments (3)