SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asonnenshine

Need advice for landscaping backyard

asonnenshine
15 years ago

Hi,

I am looking for advice on how to landscape (or simply manage) my backyard (see link to photo below) which is a shared area in our townhouse complex located in Live Oak (Santa Cruz) California, approximately 1 mile from the beach (think fog). The area cannot be fenced due to an easement (there is a sewer manhole that needs county access). The area backs-up to a small creek which eventually flows into an ocean lagoon (aka riparian corridor) and I have read that this area is considered a "mixed evergreen forest" - we have live oaks, madrone, dogwood, bay trees, toyon, etc. We have at least three HUGE oak trees in the immediate area which create almost constant shade, although we do receive a decent amount of direct morning sun. The soil is a clay/loam mixture and has pretty good drainage due to the slope. There is no watering system, but I would guess that the soil is pretty moist due to the coastal air.

Simply stated, I would like to make this area look nice. Ideally, I would like to try to landscape it in a way that re-introduces native plants and creates a natural environment. I don't want a lawn (bad for oak trees) and I don't want a perfect, neat and tidy design. I want to plant things that are good for the oak trees, have good root systems to hold down the mild embankment, and look pleasant.

Up until very recently, the whole area in the backyard was extremely overgrown. About a month ago, we had the area cleaned-up and the brush cleared out. Last week I cut down a partially dead tree that was completely strangled by the biggest poison oak vines I have ever seen in my life (3" diameter stems). Now I just need to figure out what to do with the area, as it is somewhat bare now. Also, what time of the year should I start planting?

Here is a link to my photo of the backyard:

http://www.largescaledesign.com/byard/byard_cleared_dec08.jpg

Thanks in advance,

-as

Comments (5)