SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigshoes213

why does my dog tolerate kittens & puppies but not livestock?

bigshoes213
14 years ago

My 6 year old border collie/german shephard mix male dog BLaze puts up with the tinest kittens and puppies jumping on him, biting his tail, etc... but killed a chicken that escaped from the makeshift chicken tractor one day while I was at work a couple weeks ago. Then today one of my pygmy goats (2 1/2 months old) squeezed through the small opening in between the gate and the fence post into our backyard and he had her pinned to the ground by her neck. My father who lives with us heard them and came running and got the dog off and the goat back into her pen. The goat pen is now escape proof and the chickens have been officially moved into their own pen until they can be incorpated into the main chicken flock.

I live in a fenced in yard with 2 dogs and 2 cats. (the other dog Tyson is part great pyrenees and part lab and does extremely well in the pens with the goats and chickens) no problems there. The goats and chickens live in pens adajcent to my property. MY mil has a herd of dairy goats and 3 dogs that bump up against my property also. So both dogs have been around the livestock for 2 years now but never in the same area till recently.

Why would my dog see livestock as edible if he doesnt view kittens and dogs (who are much smaller than the livestock). I am more worried about him attacking the goats than the chickens. (what animal would not want to chase a furry flying thing)

He doesnt not seem to be in any pain as far as I can tell to make him aggressive. He is not aggressive towards us. I do understand you can never be completely sure of any animal and what they do.

I just wonder has something similar happened to anyone else. Blaze will not be let near any of the goats again. He will be kenneled anytime we have to move the goats.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County