SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danell_hiltz

Winter Dreams, Summer Gardens - Please Comment

Danell Hiltz
13 years ago

I'm only dreaming now and a fresh perspective would be most welcome. I posted previously then took a design class and got some help from my instructor and a landscape architect so I'm almost there. I'm hoping your comments will help me finish.

I put a link at the bottom which includes both the previous and new design plans as well as photos of the yard. I hope to plant in March, although I may need to take this in stages. So perhaps doing mounding and conifers first which may also help me "see" what it will all look like. I have a difficult time seeing things in my mind.

Yellow : I think I have too much yellow and was thinking of replacing the Rudbeckias for something blue, perhaps Agastache 'Blue Fortune'. What do you think?

Phormium Tenax : I had wanted the Phormium Tenax by the fountain, not as a focal point, but so that I would not be looking out my slider at a bunch of dead stuff in the winter. (It is a risk as most everyone here lost theirs last winter - any other suggestions?) Therefore I'd like to pull it forward, like in original drawing, and get rid of the Echinacea in front of it to right of fountain. What do you think? Will it compete too much with the fountain? I was planning on using "Pink Panther" which only gets 3-4 x 4-5. Also neither I nor my instructor thinks it necessary to have an additional Phormium at dry creek bed but architect does. What are your thoughts? I have a lot of "twosies" going on.

Juniperus S. Moonglow : I wanted something that would direct the eye and create a flow with all the blue conifers but will this make it too dark? Perhaps a Baby Blue Spruce instead (although prickly)?

Rhaphiolepis Indica Clara : The architect suggested this but I wanted something with less maintenance (I have enough trimming with the Virbs.) so was thinking perennials, Huechera, Hakonechloa or the original Lace Leaf Japanese Maple. My instructor suggested Abelia prostrata. Your thoughts?

As you can see, I've extended the dry creek bed. I had originally thought to pull everything together using Salix Purpurea Dwarf Artic Willow but after reading about its numerous foliar and insect problems decided to wait until I worked with it. Does anyone have experience with this plant and am I justified in being concerned?

Gads this was a lot of work - but fun. Thank you for your comments, suggestions, insight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Plans

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus