SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miss_rumphius_rules

The Ephemeral Garden?

More musingsmostly ponderingsÂ

Several recent threads have gotten me thinking about permanence and impermanence in garden and landscape design.

Several years ago on a visit to one the Garden Conservancy Open days gardens, I visited the remains of a garden designed by Ellen Biddle Shipman. She is one of my design heroes. The only thing that was left was brickÂsome walls and a small round pool. All of the plantings in the garden had gone by the wayside... but the imprint of the designer was still there. This past spring I was asked to revamp another of her spacesÂthis time all that remained was a neglected monster of a deer ravaged yew hedge. I removed the hedge completely and tried to imagine what Shipman might have done today. What we created was classical and formal yet modern and appropriate to todayÂs lifestyle. Did I learn from my first visit to a Shipman ghost gardenÂyou betchaÂwe built out of brick.

Should permanence of some kind be an element in the residential gardens we design? Will what we create today survive beyond the next homeowner? Do we want or need it to survive? Should we feel obligated to retain existing elements or should we tear it all down and start new each time? Do we build with stone in an effort to create that permanence? Do we plant trees for the same reason? Should we honor those who have been before us in some way?

Comments (8)