SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whtros

Rouen Duck Question?

whtros
14 years ago

Last March 17th, I bought 6 Rouen ducklings. We have been having such a good time with them. They are so cute and funny. Planes, trains, autos, lawnmowers and tillers don't bother them but let a cardinal fly over them and they duck! We have 2 small ponds but they will only go in the one we started them in altho its farthest away from the garage where we pen them at nite. We've been shooing them into their pen shortly before dark. Now that its warmer, I've been slower at getting out to bring them in. The last couple nites, they came in by themselves!

All along, we've been wondering how many are females and males. I've had it figured we have 2 drakes, 3 females and 1 undecided. My "scientific calculations" are based on: 2 are always eager to take food from our hands. 3 start to come up to us but turn away after a few steps. The undecided one comes up after the first 2 and doesn't take the handout as quickly.

That may mean nothing b/c: they have all developed beautiful brown feathers on their chest and wings. And a couple have started the blue banding on their wings. If any of them were drakes, wouldn't they be getting lighter colored feathers on their chest and keel? They all still have fuzz on their heads.

So, is it too soon to tell if we have all hens or not? I was hoping for at least 1 drake. lol. Thanx for all the great stories I've read about your ducks and thanx for answering my question. Barbara

{{gwi:38139}}

Comments (8)