SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahbee01

is this normal rooster behavior?

ahbee01
17 years ago

I know that some people say their roo will let the ladies eat first, but what I witnessed, I have never seen or heard before. I was out feeding the birds the other day, we have 2 hens and a roo,(all blue cochins). I was feeding them some leaf lettuce and tomatoes. I made sure to throw some over to the roo because he will not eat out of my hand if the ladies are near. When I threw him some maters and stuff he started to hackle like I've never heard before and he would pick up a piece of food and then drop it while making that funny sound, and he kept doing it till the ladies ran to him, he then would drop the food at their feet, and go and find more, once he even feed it to one of the hens!! I couldn't believe it! I thought it was just a fluke so since then have made sure to feed them that way again just to make sure. I will try to capture it on video and post it somewhere if in fact this is not the norm!!!

Also my hens sleep under the roo and the three of them huddle together in the corner of the coop! I have tried to put them on the perches before locking them up, but they always seem to go back to cuddling! The hens are starting laying in late December, so they are not that young, but won't be a year till end of summer! I just thought it was strange and wondered if anyone else has seen this! I love watching my birds, and I'm looking forward to getting some more when the weather warms up!

Thanks

Brenda

Comments (2)