SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maid_in_the_shade

Chick helped out of its shell, can't walk, now what?

Maid_in_the_Shade
18 years ago

Please, I need advice & input. One of my hens incubated a clutch of 7 eggs, 3 hatched one day, 2 more the next. Yesterday she left the last 2 eggs in the nest & busied herself instead with her 5 new chicks. I planned to leave those eggs for the day and bury them if they remained unhatched or unattended by nightfall.

But late in the afternoon we found one of those eggs with a small hole where the chick was beginning to peck itself out and over a dozen fire ants running in & out of the hole! And the chick was alive & cheeping! I didn't know what to do but I couldn't leave that chick to be eaten alive by the ants.

So I gently but quickly removed all the shell & membrane and blew away all the ants. I put the chick all wet & curled up on paper towels in a box under a desk lamp. By bedtime she was drying off & sitting up. This morning she is all dry & fluffy, acting rather perky, but seems to have some weakness in her legs & feet so that she cannot stand or walk.

I wonder if the long labor of extracting itself out of the shell somehow triggers proper motor development for a baby chick. So here I am, giving physical therapy to this hatchling, gently straightening those delicate little toes & making her push against my finger with her legs.

I'm thinking that if she cannot stand then she cannot poop, and if she cannot poop then she should not eat or drink. The plan is to keep her feeling comfortable & loved for as long of a time as she has.

What more should I do? What should I do if ever this situation happens again? Please advise, I appreciate any input!

Thank you thank you thank you,

Carol in Florida

Where Fire Ants reign & other folks watch their steps

Comments (6)