SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twink4

What do 'concrete guys' do??

twink4
16 years ago

Please help me realize where we're going wrong...

We demoed and hauled our old large concrete pavered patio recently and are now ready to have someone create a new concrete patio. We have a design plan on paper and have had a few guys take a look at the plan without much luck.

Just this morning, someone with many years experience told me that he would need to spend hours figuring out the slope and drain elements for our patio to work...and he doesn't really do that. WHAT??? I was under the impression that that's what a concrete contractor did. No?? Who, then, do I call to help with this layer of work? (When I asked this guy, he wasn't sure.)

Please help me understand what I'm not understanding. THANKS!

Comments (22)

• marcinde
    16 years ago

Who did the design plan? Was slope and drainage accounted for in the plan? Do you have a particularly difficult situation, i.e. no easy way to get water away from the house and out of the backyard? It sounds like you may have something more difficult than a normal pour. You could always contact a landscape architect or a very good landscape designer.

• twink4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, marcinde, for your response--
    We had a landscape designer draw up an initial plan. Slope and drainage issues are not detailed in the plan, however, we believe that these very important aspects can be addressed as they were with our previous patio make up. I don't believe that we have a particularly difficult situation...but then I'm not well versed in all aspects of this trade (yet.)

I understand that there's a mathematical/engineering type process (slope, grading, drainage) that needs to be in place, but I guess I assumed that concrete contractors did this piece themselves. The guy who came out this morning assured me that once I saw the stakes/strings in the ground mapped out. I would realized what's involved. OK...I KNOW there need to be stakes and strings measured out, I just assumed that HE would be the one doing this. ??? ...still learning, I guess

• Related Discussions

What do you guys do for a living?

Q

Comments (49)
    Im 27 and a video game environment artist. Been working in NC for about 9 years. Originally from S. CA, moved to Idaho as a teen. Was going to community college dual enrollment in highschool when I somehow magically ended up with a video game internship that turned into 9 years of full time employment. So never got any degree besides a highschool diploma. I have to admit I am very blessed to be in a situation where I can grow vegetables and peppers for fun. But I am also interested in learning more about sustainable living and being less dependent on others, and trying to get the best crop yields with less water/nutrients/etc. Nice to be amongst friends! khyberkitsune, your small space yield experiments sound AWESOME!! Do you have any more info online I could check out? That's exactly what I am interested in pursuing. I've done outdoor soil gardening since I was little with my stepdad, but now I suddely have my own family and have this desire to try my hand at some totally new techniques. I am attempting some DWC habaneros right now (thread in the pepper forum). Next year I really want to try an ourdoor Aeroponics setup, since I just realized the RO booster pump I have is the PERFECT pump for high pressure nozzle spray :D Love finding out I already have equipment to try something!!
    ...See More

Septic guys broke shed foundation. What to do? Photos

Q

Comments (4)
    Update.... The septic guys checked it out and agree that they caused the damage. They said for us to have it fixed to our satisfaction and they will pay the bill or we can deduct it from their pay't for the septic. We will be pulling that shed out soon and will have the concrete crew for the back patio and driveway fix it. This will delay our new shed but we can deal with that. Thanks for the input.
    ...See More

How do you guys do it?

Q

Comments (24)
    shhhhhhhhhh Donna, you're blowing my cover! Wild and modest......my wife would so laugh at that...lol. Sandy, I get your point regarding Deadline, but it's not really that toxic. One just needs to take care with storing it as it as a child or pet would have to consume quite a bit of it to be fatal. Not unlike drain cleaner.....keep it out of reach. It's much more compressed than Sluggo and has a water resistant coating, allowing it to last in rain for weeks......not months or years. I've turned over 20 gardeners onto it and they swear by it and won't ever go back. I've never seen any adverse signs to wildlife....although I wish it would with rabbits and chipmunks :) A large percentage of our nursery and agricultural industry uses it, so I hope it doesn't have a negative impact on the environment. I'm completely organic in my garden except using Deadline, but it's so effective I only need two light applications a year ( except this year with all the rain). Sluggo is safer and I understand people preferring to use it, but I hate slug damage on my hostas and nothing comes close to Deadlines effectiveness......and I'm too forgetful to apply slug bait more than a couple of times a year!
    ...See More

What Do I Do to Restore Faded Stamped Concrete Walkway

Q

Comments (7)
    We had a stamped concrete walk, pattern and color similar to the lower pair of Beverly's picture above. After a gentle power-wash and resealing, the colors did look more vivid -- I'd say the before and after pictures are realistic. My understanding is that you should re-seal stamped concrete at least every five years. The lady at the concrete store advised us to mix some tiny pellet product into the sealant to help with traction. I forget the specific name, but it was a common item for concrete work. Incidentally, we had to "DIY" because the installer of our walkway went out of business and we couldn't find a company willing to re-seal someone else's work. Luckily it was easy. Our walk also had a compass medallion inset, which the installer hand-colored with blacks and reds. Our power-washing took most of this extra color off. It still looked nice after resealing, but all of the red and most of the black was gone.
    ...See More
  • marcinde
    16 years ago

Visual aids (photos, plan) would be helpful...

What you're talking about is a common complaint, because of the lack of consistency in what a "designer" knows and/or does for you. A lot of designers give you a pretty picture, that may or may not need a lot of field adjustment. Others of us take several hours to measure a property and work the grades out to a quarter inch or better. I would have to assume that if your concrete guys are freaking out about this as much as it sounds like, your designer created something pretty funky without explaining how to make it work. You may need to have your designer meet with the proposed contractors at the very least; but realize that additional site meetings probably aren't within the scope of your original agreement.

Dave

• twink4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts...
    In all fairness to everyone involved, our landscape designer had drawn up our initial plan a week before her husband unexpectedly passed away. While we knew that she could have worked with us further in this process, we offered her whatever time she needs to get through this time in her life.

With that, we are working on our own now to tackle this task. I suppose I'm wondering what most people do if they don't have any type of drawn up plan in place. Aren't there instances where one hires a concrete contractor with merely a verbal "walk through" of what is desired?? ...or do contractors always need detailed plans.

Chatting with friends today, I realize there ARE others who have hired someone to complete patio/concrete jobs with no plan at all. (..and have been happy with the results.) So now, at least, I have another contact or two to call.

I'm reading up on how to post photos. Boy do I feel like a novice at everything today!!:-)

• laag
    16 years ago

There is no standard knowledge set for either a "landscape designer"or a "concrete guy".

The assumption is that your designer actually knows what the existing grades are and what the proposed grades should be. The truth is that the designer may or may not have this depth of information. The scope of work may be for a layout plan with no added provision for grading or construction details. These things take some knowledge, time, effort, and take on higher degrees of responsibility. Sometimes the design budget is not big enough to get those things even from those with the skill sets. Other times the designer does not have the ability to deliver that level of service. No knock on the designer for limited skills - it is a diverse field and each and everyone of us have varying degrees of limitations. Its only bad when one charges for skills he does not deliver.

Concrete guys are much the same. Some only know how to pour it it and float it. Others can lay a job out, form it up with proper pitch, and make a great job out of a very basic conceptual landscape plan drawn by a homeowner.

Let's not leave the homeowner out of it either. You have to be aware that you can't get more than what you are willing to pay for. You can't assume greater results from lesser prepared people (under trained, under experienced, under priced).

On one of these forums a poster once used the fly fishing term which is very appropriate. That is "match the hatch" which simply means to figure out what bugs the fish are eating and then present the appropriate fly in the most appropriate way.

It is unnecessary to have a plan over designed just as it is foolish to have it under designed. If you have a skilled concrete guy that can do great things with a limited set of plans there is no great benefit in paying for a designer to measure elevations, calculate proposed grades, and supply multiple construction details and specifications.

If you have good concrete finishers who need better plans to follow or supervision, it makes sense to pay more for a higher level designer and maybe a project manager.

Each and every one of these designers, contractors, and consumers are needed in the market place!

To sum it up, there are great people out there. Sometimes they are not easy to find or are so busy that they command a good deal of money. Sometimes people don't understand that smaller paying jobs often have a lot of liability and they displace higher paying jobs rather than being additional profit. You just can't assume that all landscape designers have the same skill sets. You can't assume that all concrete guys have the same skill sets. You can't assume that each consumer will have the same level of commitment to the design or the construction as the next consumer or last consumer.

Match the hatch and match the expectations to the commitment that you put into it. Sometimes that means financial commitment.

• marcinde
    16 years ago

In your original post, you also mentioned that you had other concrete companies out- same result?

There are plenty of instances where contractors can come in and do things without plans, or with rudimentary thumbnail sketches agreed upon with the client. But these tend to be pretty straightforward jobs, which makes me suspect you have a complicating factor in all this. Which- your picture doesn't come up for me, so I can't say yet. Is this patio in an area where you've had water issues? What's the shape look like?

• twink4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yay!! I figured out how to post pics. Here's our tricky "patio" to be.
    What do you think??

{{gwi:52817}}

{{gwi:52819}}

• twink4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

BTW...concrete work is phase one in backyard re-do -- gate/divider structure will be coming out soon.

Please let me know if additional photos would help determine our needs.

Sure appreciate your input!!

• laag
    16 years ago

Keep calling local people to look at your site. If someone could look at these photos and give you an answer, you still need to get a real person at your site. There really is no benefit to you from this excercise other than to learn that there is no benefit.

• marcinde
    16 years ago

I can see the issue- it looks like you're extremely flat back there (maybe even pitched back to the house somewhat?), with no easy way to get water away from the house and out of the yard. Find someone local who is knowledgeable enough that can come out, shoot some grades, and figure it out. It's funny- a flat lot may seem easier to deal with, but even in the desert you have to know how to keep water away from the structure.

Best,

Dave

• ironbelly1
    16 years ago

After seeing the photos (and trying to read between the lines), I think you are really missing the point. As a few of the other posters have noted, something about this project smelled fishy.

When I read things like: "...have had a few guys take a look at the plan without much luck." and "someone with many years experience (YIKES !!!) told me that he would need to spend hours figuring out the slope and drain elements for our patio to work...and he doesn't really do that." red flags begin to flap in the wind. Particularly with the surrounding brick walls, water has no place to go --- and I strongly suspicion that problem is the root cause of your demolition.

What all of these "concrete guys" seem to know but are being too polite to tell you is that you have a mess on your hands and they want no part of the pending liability. They know that they would be building a concrete pond with water probably flowing into your house or at minimum, creating a strong potential for eventual structural damage.

Water problems in this area ... Isn't that the real reason behind wanting a patio here in the first place? Your plan has serious problems --- it is time you begin to take them seriously.

IronBelly

Here is a link that might be useful: Understanding Water

• annzgw
    16 years ago

Just throwing something out there...........have you considered extending the grass and having a smaller flagstone, or maybe stamped, patio?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Repetitively pointing out problems is one thing - offering possible solutions is another.

A poured concrete patio is impermeable to water and the runoff has to go somewhere. If grading/drainage is an issue (and on the surface - no pun intended - it appears to be), then perhaps a more water permeable type of patio is in order. Bricks, concrete pavers, or natural flagstones carefully set on a well-prepared base offer similar function and aesthetics, yet provide for adequate drainage. Spacing the material and interplanting with a groundcover (or lawn) would provide for even greater water absorbtion. A simple low, floating wooden deck would achieve the same result.

• laag
    16 years ago

Amen, Gardengal.

The problem remains that the OP needs a local person on site to figure it out. But whom?

A lot of people can do it. The only ones that you are guaranteed a result from are civil engineers (and LAs in some states).

It is budget vs. liability vs. design professional.

• twink4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your time, everyone. Again, my initial question regarded what these professionals (concrete guys) were capable of doing. As this is not my area of expertise, I was surprised when yesterday's guy told me that he wasn't the one who would determine the grade and drainage issues.

Our old patio (large concrete pavers divided by 2x4's--you can almost see their outline) worked beautifully as far as drainage was concerned. Hard to see, but we also had planting areas along the block wall. (We plan to enlarge this concept to enable even more absorption.) As we've never had drainage issues, I didn't realize they would now become such a huge issue. (...again, not my area of expertise)

Having chatted with my husband a lot this morning, I'm realizing that as he understands these issues (creating a French Drain as just one example of dealing this this) better than I do, I will make sure that he is home when I arrange future contractor visits. ...just wish I didn't need to do this.

Trust me, we realize the work that may be involved and are willing to pay the right person to do this job. (Cost factors have never been discussed as we've yet to get an estimate.) The guy yesterday just threw me when he commented that he didn't deal with the slope and drainage pieces. So I wondered if this was standard in the concrete field.

I certainly appreciate the suggestions and ideas given here and will rethink this part of our project to incorporate even more permeable features.

• inkognito
    16 years ago

Detective inkognito here. Have a look at the second picture, there you will see a gray concrete paver standing on end. See it, right in the middle? Are we being lead up the garden path in assuming that "a concrete guy" (sounds like a hard case to me) does poured concrete only or does he install these concrete pavers too. If so does this make the problem more understandable and the answer to the question different?

• twink4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

inkognito...
    sorry -- no clue there-- that paver was something we used to prop up something else. Just an old remnant found on our property when we bought the home 20 years ago -- never used. --but you get points for being observant:-)

• bahia
    16 years ago

Looking at the landscape and the plantings(Chinese Weeping Elm tree), it would appear that you are in California. So we can assume that occasional torrential downpours are not common where you live. The extreme flatness of the site and the evident porous nature of the old concrete patio with redwood 2 x 4 dividers were probably sufficient to allow for drainage even without a good swale to the street. So, if your new patio layout is using concrete pavers over a sand base, or brick, or has joints that will allow for some permeability, you may in fact be a real simple job to install, and it would just be a matter of sloping away from the house at minimum 1.5% slope and meeting existing grades wherever you meet existing paving to remain.

I would assume that any concrete contractors who looked at this would have told you much the same, or expressed some concerns about how the drainage would be handled with such a flat site and a masonary wall that would also contain water onsite without allowing runoff. It may be possible to design a french drain that needn't connect to the street, but instead could drain to a larger sump, but it would be necessary to know whether your roof dumps water into this back yard as well, or whether that is already taken to the street. It would also help to know your soil type, and whether you have fast or slow drainage with standing water. The main issue looks to be drainage and permeability, not any difficulty in executing a concrete patio in such a flat backyard. There are also newer concrete mixes especially formulated for better permeability and to allow recharging the water table without run-off, but they are more expensive than a standard pour. As mentioned previously, it may also simply be easier to do concrete pavers butted tight over a sand base, and this would likely not require any addtional drainage.

Any concrete contractor that is licensed and comes with referrals should have been able to articulate the parameters of your patio pour, and helped you determine what your project would require. Didn't any of them mention potential lack of drainage due to the flatness, and then question you as to how you intended it to drain?

• twink4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You too, bahia, are very observant...and correct. We live in CA -- Bay Area, in fact (neighbors??) so, yes, you are correct. While water should always be a concern, it isn't something we deal with on a daily basis. (Although we just sat through a miserable Cal vs. USC football game where it rained all evening!!)

I do know about the minimum slope away from the house, and did have this in place with our previous patio. Downspouts do not pour into this section our our yard.

Concrete guys #1 and #2 didn't seem worried about slope and drainage issues -- yes, we did talk about possible options. I THINK they were both simply very busy with all of the choices of jobs available in our market to take us on as well. Guy #3, yesterday, (licensed and experienced, but found from the phone book - not referral) did discuss possible drainage concerns he had, but didn't go further to look for available solutions. (...again, wish DH had been here) He also seemed thrown because our backyard doesn't have easy accessibility for his bobcat. We're more than willing/able to haul dirt, etc. ourselves if need be.

Since Guys #1 and 2 didn't question why we didn't have a more detailed plan on paper, I wondered if the reaction from Guy #3 was standard and would cause us to hire someone to add calculations to our design.

So, I agree, bahia. I THINK while we have SOME issues...we're not that tricky. (at least our old patio -- while 50 years old and worn out -- never caused us such problems) This conversation definitely has made me more aware of how to work permeable features into our patio.
    THANKS!! again everyone --

• bahia
    16 years ago

Sounds like you are on the right track, and good luck finding a contractor who can fit you in. Given that there appears to be minimal grading or haul away of materials for a new concrete pour, I wouldn't think a bobcat will be necessary, and the pour could be pumped back into the yard rather than wheel-barrowed in. The fact that you don't have additional roof drainage onto this area is reassuring, and it could well be that your existing conditions can well handle rainfall in our normal amounts.

• marcinde
    16 years ago

side note- since a few people have suggested pavers as a way to increase permeable paving, be sure to communicate this intent to the contractor if you opt to go that route. Standard practice is now to use polymeric sand to lock in the joints, so many paver patios are no more pervious than a concrete slab. Just something to be aware of.