SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

'Landscape' as % cost, or: most homes aren't really complete

Frankie_in_zone_7
15 years ago

I know that the "percent of home price that should be spent on landscape" is not intended as a hard and fast rule, but one thing I wanted to observe is that in today's homes (not necessarily different from days gone by), most homes, as marketed, really aren't "finished" with regard to necessary hardscape and landscaping to make them really functional--they're just homes on bare ground, and you the buyer can just figure out how to get to your backyard without getting covered in mud, or just pay for AC in the broiling sun, or whatever.

I realize this is not a new discovery, but it speaks to the idea, as in a recent post of the poster asking whether $50k is a good price for a landscape bid on his apparent $150 k home--his post seems to be more about the charges for the work proposed, but one can also extend the ideas to wonder how much someone should invest in their home landscape, and how much it depends on all sorts of values.

Really, when we buy our homes, we don't get much education and only learn the hard way that perhaps a $150 k home with $30-50K (or more) worth of really appropriate landscaping and hardscape may be a much better value, and be more livable, than the $200k home with nothing, or that it may be a lot cheaper to add granite counters to a humbler but well-landscaped home than to add an instantly aged landscape to the new tract home.

Again, this is roundabout, but it seems like there is just no one "out there" addressing the niche of, how a home buyer could evaluate the "landscapability" of the prospective properties. We seem to turn our thoughts to the landscape after the deal is closed and then go, dawgies! I can't possibly afford a patio, or whatever.

I don't even think it is completely about how much someone "values" landscape, though of course it is at that very instant that the home is selected, as it is a combination of ignorance and of progressing through life's stages so that if you are buying your first home, especially, you maybe just don't have any reference point yet for what you may soon come to value in the landscape.

Of course this apparently goes up against market forces, since apparently the great majority of people prefer more "interior" house and less outdoor-relatedness, and therefore will buy the other guy's more-house-house before they buy your smaller house with covered patio, pergola, brick walks and so forth.

Comments (2)