SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyllebean_gw

Sick tomatoes. Underwatering or blight?

12 years ago

Here is a link to photos of the tomatoes.

https://picasaweb.google.com/JillDTanner/May2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCJv7icDzqdHF0gE#

This is my first year growing tomatoes. These plants get 10 hours full sun. I planted them deep. Based on the research I've done so far my guesses as to what's wrong (they are very stemmy with hardly any leaves. Bottom leaves are curling and yellowing with some brown spots) I think it could be two things. Not sure how to determine if it's blight or does anyone have suggestions of what they think is wrong and how to fix it? Or do I just throw out the tomatoes and maybe try to start over since it's still relatively early? I'm on the So California coast.

I think it may be due to underwatering. I've been relying on sprinkles for twice a week watering and been watering them myself once a week. I'm guessing the sprinklers aren't giving them enough water? I was paranoid of overwatering and I'm worried I took it too far.

Another idea, because they do get hit with sprinklers (although it's at 6 am and it seems like leaves would have time to dry) could it be blight?

Another idea, we have a red worm vermiposting bin and I have fertilized them with about 1/2 cup each of worm castings every 2-3 weeks (only twice now since they've been planted).

Or maybe the containers are too small? They are 8-12 gallon containers. The tomatoes are all different varieties. 3 heirloom, 1 cherry and 1 better boy.

Any other ideas? Can these survive or should I just throw them out and try to start over?

Thanks for any help!! I'm clearly a beginner!

Comments (12)