SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zinniafan

eye sore blocker for sunken sunflower garden

zinniafan
16 years ago

I live in a small town were houses are close together and have narrow yards seperated by alleys. Between my back yard and the alley is our raised dirt parking area (which we never use) that is held up by a retaining wall.

The neighbor that shares our alley used to park his cars in a charming old red barn which had a beautiful walnut tree next to it. I put a composting area, shed and "sunken" sunflower garden in front of the retaining wall. From looking at pictures of my sunflower garden with the barn and walnut in the background you woudl never think it was in the middle of town, until...

My neighbor decided to "upgrade". he knocked down the barn and put in an aluminum car port, chopped down the walnut tree and sold it for wood, using the money from the sale to buy the carport and cement lawn ornaments!

I'm thinking of building a trellace or something like a privacy screen since my yard is only sunken by a few feet and right at eye level now are the cars, aluminum with concrete accents. Do you have any other ideas? I was thinking even something planted or built at the higher level could be beneficial. I was thinking of planting very large sunflowers at the back which would help, but only likely for a month or so, plus my yard is small, so I stick to dwarved varieties. On a larger scale, I was thinking of planting a red maple there b/c my garden lacks fall interest and though I would loose my sunflower garden (which also has a spring/early summer blooming landscape rose), I think in the long run it would be more than worth it.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths