SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cena_gw

Spooky hen acting weirder than normal

Cena
18 years ago

I have no idea what type of hen she is, nor did the store who sold her to me 5 months ago. She has always BEEN the defination of High Strung. Spooky, flighty, aggressive to the dominate chicken, forcing her way into whatever nest box she wanted to sleep in...

I moved the tractor today, next to the garden to help control some rampant weed growth. Next thing I know, she is pacing and displaying even stranger behavior. I have a home made Chicken tractor with nest boxes attatched on the outside. A long, squat box, with a hatch opening at one end, and a swing down door to confine all chickens within reach of the hatch. The door (really a board on a swivel stick) is secured by a a hook and eye latch, with a string to fetch it up when down, confining chix.

At first, I thought she was after the string. But after watching awhile, she paced back and forth, and just where the board latched to the structure, she would hop up, ramming her head into the chicken wire! She actually bit the cage a couple of times. Most times, she never hit the top but kept jumping over and over in the same place. Finally, seeing how dirty her chest had gotten from repetitive behavior in the same place, I dropped a trash can lid on top of the tractor, blocking her view of the waving onions 18 inches taller than their cage. I'm not exactly sure if this stopped the repetative behavior, but it did refocus her attention to an hour or longer dust bath...

What on EARTH was she trying to do, and how do I redirect her if she starts again tomorrow???

She had also been uncharacteristicly scratching around in a box. She is not laying YET, and I was wondering if the 'urge' might be confusing her, or causing her anxiety?

{{gwi:36817}}
This is a basic pix showing the drop down door, but none of the hardware, or a closer pix of where she was going bonkers. You can see the drop down door sags on one side and is up tight on the other. The up side is where the hook latch is, and where she kept jumping, over and over and over...

Here is a pix of Nutso when much, much younger. A friend out here recently for a visit mentioned how one of her hens looked more like a crow than a chicken, and we laughed at the similarities of their behavior, the spookiness, the racing around, the inability to be quiet and easy going. She DOES look like a crow on steroids, though. Lean, long and sleek, rather than round, squatty and waddling like the rest of my chickens, banty cochins and a silkie!

{{gwi:36818}}

ANY thoughts appreciated!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH