SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
burntplants

Really good Design and Theory books

burntplants
17 years ago

Another thread got me thinking about this...

What are some good designing THEORY books. (Or designing books that affected your own ideas/theory about landscaping.)

Books that made you think about landscape in a different way

or reinforced what you already knew but had lost amongst the details.

(NOT just plant lists or how-to's or garden-by-numbers, etc.)

For me "The American Weekend Garden" by Patricia Thorpe really got my brain working. Yes, she has all the simple how-tos and instructions for beginning gardeners, but I don't think I've run into a book that changed the way I viewed shaping and using the outside landscape in a long time.

It's those eureka moments of inspiration, like when you were first introduced to the concepts of form/function or accessibility or outdoor rooms or leaf shape contrast or deciduous/evergreen balance or...

**What books have made you sit up, put them down, run into the garden to look around, and then sent you running back to the book.

(PLEASE do NOT turn this into a critique on whether my "concepts" are good/bad, whether they actually are concepts, whether the sky is really blue, or go off on any other weird tangent--please start your own thread if you want to do that. I want to discuss the books that inspire(d) you. Surely you can add to that!)

Comments (10)